Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad mini gps

Hi,

I'm currently using ipad mini but I have problem to use ipad mini as gps. I do not have data plan with ipad mini and iphone but i can use the gps function in iphone by using the portable wifi, the problem is I cannot use gps in ipad mini by using the same wifi. Can i know what should i do with setting or ipad mini cannot use as gps?

Thanks,

Chew Theng

iPad, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 12:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 4:53 AM

The maps function has to get the data in addition to the GPS. If you are out and about your iPhone is doing this over the 3G data plan. It sounds like your mini doesn't have 3g/a data plan so this is probably why it isn't working when you are out.

12 replies

Apr 27, 2013 8:43 PM in response to Diavonex

I was on the interstate in podunkville. No wifi there, and it is would be very hard to make and maintain a connection at interstate speeds traveling interstate distances. I was on a state highway in-between towns. No wifi there, either.

I thought exactly what you were thinking, until it became obvious that the only logical explanation was that it indeed has GPS.

Go grab a mini and try it. So far I've tested two. I have several more to test, yet, but I'm willing to bet that even in places where I am nowhere near wifi, I will get a marker telling me where I am.

Apr 28, 2013 5:26 AM in response to diveFreaks

diveFreaks wrote:

I was on the interstate in podunkville. No wifi there, and it is would be very hard to make and maintain a connection at interstate speeds traveling interstate distances. I was on a state highway in-between towns. No wifi there, either.

I thought exactly what you were thinking, until it became obvious that the only logical explanation was that it indeed has GPS.

Go grab a mini and try it. So far I've tested two. I have several more to test, yet, but I'm willing to bet that even in places where I am nowhere near wifi, I will get a marker telling me where I am.

Once again, the wifi-only iPads do not have GPS. Check the specifications.

Apr 28, 2013 6:29 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

I'm not saying you guys are full of it, but I also don't know if you have ever done emergency dispatching. Cell phone tracking is not the magic bullet you think it is. "Inexact" would be an upgrade. Even with four towers triangulating, the guess is usually not close. This was far, far better than cell phone "positioning" ever was, so either it's also somehow better than the iphone, or it's something different.

Bob, the next time you're out on a big, big lake, where there is no service, try it. I'll be messing with it later.

Apr 28, 2013 7:43 AM in response to pvonk

Look at the "location" section of the following specs:

http://www.apple.com/ipad-mini/specs/

From a previous post:

A mini-education...

GPS signals are separate from and completely unrelated to both the Internet and the cellular telephone network. GPS signals come directly from the GPS satellites. They provide signals that allow GPS receivers to calculate latitude and longitude information. Navigation software then takes that latitude/longitude info and converts it to land mass, roads, bridges, highways, buildings, etc.

Most navigation software stores the maps right in the iPad/iPod/iPhone but a disadvantage is that the maps must be periodically updated (perhaps once every two years). The Internet is not required to use the system but it is required to update the maps.

Some navigation software gets the maps from the Internetand requires an Internet connection to function but an advantage is that the maps are always up-to-date.

The WiFi+3G/4G iPad and the iPhone both have a GPS receiver. The WiFi-only iPad and the iPod do not and these devices require an accessory.

iPad mini gps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.