Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Simple Logic project causing -10010 error

Hi,

one week ago I made a whole new project for my band's backing tracks. I exported 24 bit 48 kHz WAVs from previous Logic and Pro Tools sessions. I've decided to reduce the number of tracks and make these stems: SAMPLES, GUITARS, LOOPS AND STUFF, VOCALS, TRANSITIONS (all routed to stereo output 1-2), CLICK TRACK (output 3), TEST TONE - which is basically a short WAV (1 kHz sine wave) on an infinite loop (output 4). I've also created two MIDI tracks to control my guitar rig. It's as simple as that.

We planned to use an SW8-like switcher and two laptops:
1) Macbook Pro - Early 2011 - OS Lion 10.7.5 - 320 GB HDD - 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 - 8 GB of RAM (extended), M-Audio FireWire 1814

2) Macbook Pro - Late 2011 - OS Lion 10.7.5 - 500 GB HDD - 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 - 4 GB of RAM, M-Audio FireWire 410

The project had only 5 songs and maximum of 7 audio tracks + 2 MIDI tracks (with no plugins or automations) for our 30 minute set we were rehearsing. Everything went smoothly until the first song started giving us -10010 error on both Macs. The second one seemed a little bit more troubling. I was staring at the CPU and HD activity and have never noticed any spikes or higher levels at all. When the error occurred, CPU was suddenly stuck in the red, HD remained calm.

Eventually I tried to bounce tracks into three MP3s - CLICK TRACK, short TEST TONE and all SAMPLES together. I also disabled the sudden motion sensor on both laptops. Deleted all the unused WAVs from the Audio Bin. Restarted both Macs. Turned off the infinite loop on TEST TONE. None of these would help at all. Even though I/O Buffer was at 1024 samples all the time.

We ended up playing a show with only one laptop and an older project, made out of even more 24 bit 48 kHz WAVs which ironically didn't cause any troubles at all. At least on first laptop. This makes absolutely no sense to me. Why would three MP3s require more than 4 - 5 WAVs playing at once?

Am I doing something wrong? Or could there be something wrong with the particular project which I forgot to set/check?

Thank you very much!

JT

Logic Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 6:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 9:22 AM

wickedbeans wrote:

Why would three MP3s require more than 4 - 5 WAVs playing at once?

Because MP3's use MUCH more CPU to be played than WAV (or AIFF)s do: the code in the WAV can be directly used by audio convertors (it is linear PCM data), whereas the MP3's have to be decoded/reconstructed in almost realtime to linear PCM data before it hits the convertors. The only advantage of MP3 is in file size.

For any pro musician it makes much more sense to use linear PCM, now that disk space is not really an issue anymore.

But, I must add that this is a reply only to what I've quoted above and not to your complete issue; 5 MP3's shouldn't overload any Mac - unless you're streaming them of your (slow?) system drive perhaps...

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2013 9:22 AM in response to wickedbeans

wickedbeans wrote:

Why would three MP3s require more than 4 - 5 WAVs playing at once?

Because MP3's use MUCH more CPU to be played than WAV (or AIFF)s do: the code in the WAV can be directly used by audio convertors (it is linear PCM data), whereas the MP3's have to be decoded/reconstructed in almost realtime to linear PCM data before it hits the convertors. The only advantage of MP3 is in file size.

For any pro musician it makes much more sense to use linear PCM, now that disk space is not really an issue anymore.

But, I must add that this is a reply only to what I've quoted above and not to your complete issue; 5 MP3's shouldn't overload any Mac - unless you're streaming them of your (slow?) system drive perhaps...

Apr 7, 2013 3:47 AM in response to wickedbeans

wickedbeans wrote:

That's some useful knowledge, thank you! What kind of WAV (bitrate, samplerate) would you consider to be the best in my case?

You're welcome. I would recommend using 24 bits and 44,1 kHz or 48 kHz (video standard) for recording; 16 bit 44,1 kHz (CD resolution) will do for converted MP3's. You can use both 16 and 24 bit files in the same project, you cannot use both 44,1 and 48 kHz files in one project.

Simple Logic project causing -10010 error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.