Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magsafe cord

I bought my second Magsafe power adapter in August 2012 at a reseller in the Netherlands, and this one too has broken. The cord has worn away, exposing the wires, which appear blackened from sparking. Will the warranty enable me to get it replaced for free?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 7:15 AM

4 replies

Apr 1, 2013 10:40 AM in response to shldr2thewheel

We took it to the shop and they in turn will ship it to Apple for repair. I will have to wait for another 2-3 weeks to get either a repaired one or a new one. Luckily we are an "Apple Family" with plenty of different laptops whose power cords I can use for a while, but still annoying. I must say I am disapointed that I have to wait. The first cord lasted more then 3 years and this one not even one year. :-(

Apr 1, 2013 10:46 AM in response to billiefromden haag

With proper care genuine Apple power adapters should last as long as your Mac. Unfortunately there are plenty of counterfeit power adapters available on the market that have quality problems and may even be dangerous to use. It is very difficult to determine if the power adapter is counterfeit by inspecting its exterior. The only way to be certain yours is authentic is to purchase it directly from Apple or authorized reseller.

These KB articles may be useful:

Troubleshooting MagSafe adapters

Using and maintaining your Apple MagSafe Adapter

Reducing cable strain on your MagSafe power adapter

Magsafe cord

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.