Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Configured an old AirPort Express

I have an old AirPort Express 802.11g 2004, butI I can't configure it because my AirPort Utility (6.2) doesn't support this base station. What can I do?

iMac, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 8:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 8:54 AM

You need AirPort Utility 5.6 to configure an older Express. The problem with that version is that Mountain Lion will refuse to let you install it.

This dilemma is easily solved. You simply need to extract the app from the installer package using a package extractor like Pacifist or unpkg. Pacifist is shareware, unpkg is free.

Download Pacifist here: http://www.charlessoft.com/

Download unpkg here: http://www.timdoug.com/unpkg/

Download AirPort Utility 5.6 here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1482

When the AirPort Utility .dmg file finishes downloading, open it to expand and reveal the AirPortUtility56.pkg package installer file.

Directions for Pacifist (I do not have screenshots for unpkg but the idea is similar):

Open Pacifist and from its File menu, navigate to the package and open it.

Click the "reveal triangles" until you see AirPort Utility 5.6.app:

User uploaded file

Select it and then click Install from Pacifist's toolbar. It will then be installed in your Utilities folder, and you can quit Pacifist.

The most recent version of AirPort Utility included with Mountain Lion should be used to configure 802.11n - capable AirPort Base Stations, and should not be deleted. It and the older version (which will bear the unique name "AirPort Utility 5.6") can peacefully coexist.

If you happen to have an archived copy of the AU 5.6 app somewhere, such as a Time Machine backup or equivalent, you can simply restore it or drag the app to your Mountain Lion system's Utilities folder instead of resorting to the above procedure. It will run without complaint. It is only the package installer that is the problem.

If you have an older computer with a version of AirPort Utility earlier than 6.0, you can administer it that way as well.

27 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2013 8:54 AM in response to DMDMPH

You need AirPort Utility 5.6 to configure an older Express. The problem with that version is that Mountain Lion will refuse to let you install it.

This dilemma is easily solved. You simply need to extract the app from the installer package using a package extractor like Pacifist or unpkg. Pacifist is shareware, unpkg is free.

Download Pacifist here: http://www.charlessoft.com/

Download unpkg here: http://www.timdoug.com/unpkg/

Download AirPort Utility 5.6 here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1482

When the AirPort Utility .dmg file finishes downloading, open it to expand and reveal the AirPortUtility56.pkg package installer file.

Directions for Pacifist (I do not have screenshots for unpkg but the idea is similar):

Open Pacifist and from its File menu, navigate to the package and open it.

Click the "reveal triangles" until you see AirPort Utility 5.6.app:

User uploaded file

Select it and then click Install from Pacifist's toolbar. It will then be installed in your Utilities folder, and you can quit Pacifist.

The most recent version of AirPort Utility included with Mountain Lion should be used to configure 802.11n - capable AirPort Base Stations, and should not be deleted. It and the older version (which will bear the unique name "AirPort Utility 5.6") can peacefully coexist.

If you happen to have an archived copy of the AU 5.6 app somewhere, such as a Time Machine backup or equivalent, you can simply restore it or drag the app to your Mountain Lion system's Utilities folder instead of resorting to the above procedure. It will run without complaint. It is only the package installer that is the problem.

If you have an older computer with a version of AirPort Utility earlier than 6.0, you can administer it that way as well.

Jul 10, 2013 3:06 PM in response to John Galt

I also need to load a prior version of the AIrPort Utility, but when I used Pacifist to open AirPorrUtility5.6.1.dmg, the application file was named "AirPort Utility.app", rather than the version-specific "AirPort Utility 5.6.app" shown in the screen capture. I am hesitant to go further, since the current version of the AirPort Utility (Version 6.3) is also labeled as "AirPort Utility.app". Will I corrupt the existing application if I proceed? Thank you.

Jul 10, 2013 5:03 PM in response to John Galt

John,

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. The system is running the latest version (released) of Mountain Lion. I have an older AirPort Express that is not recognized by the latest version of the AirPort Utility. The link to the AirPort Utility in the original note did not work earlier today. I found the AirPortUtility5.6.1.dmg file in my downloads folder, but the application file within the package is named "AirPort Utility.app" rather than "AirPort Utility 5.6.app", as shown in your screen capture, above. I am concerned that since both versions are named identically, any attempt to install the older version will result in it overwriting the newer version. Is it possible to change the file name as it is being installed by Pacifist? Or, is there some other way to have both versions of the AirPort Utility installed on a Mountain Lion system?

Thank you,

Bruce

Jul 10, 2013 7:14 PM in response to BruceM

You can have both AirPort Utility 6.3 and AirPort Utility 5.6 both installed on a Mountain Lion Mac. The latter will bear the unique name as in the following:

User uploaded file

The one on the left is AirPort Utility 6.x, included with Mountain Lion.

AirPort Utility 5.6.1 is not the correct version for a Mountain Lion Mac. Delete it as well as its .dmg file from your Downloads folder. You don't need it.

Download AirPort Utility 5.6 from the link above and install it with Pacifist. The file names in the screenshot are correct, so if you see something else it's not the correct version. I verified the procedure remains operational on a Mountain Lion system just a few moments ago.

AirPort Utility 5.6 will not overwrite Mountain Lion's existing version, and there is no need to rename anything. Does that make sense?

Aug 21, 2013 7:47 AM in response to DMDMPH

Extending this thread, but I recently switched over from a Cisco router with a couple of access points, to a new Airport Extreme connected to my cable modem in the basement and a new Airport Express acting as an access point (not simply a wireless extender) on my second floor.

I have a couple of dead spots in my house, (den in the front of the house and kitchen table in the back of the house) so I used my 2 old Airport Express (G models), downloaded Airport Utility 5.6, put them each in bridge mode and connected them to Cat6 plugs and so far, the whole thing is working fine.

My questions are (1) by connecting 2 old AE that only use G, am I slowing down my entire network, or just devices that connect to those access points when in range; and (2) subject to the answer in 1, is it worth it for me to pick up 1 or 2 refurb'd newer Airport Express models to replace the older G units (which seem to do the trick)..

Thanx in advance. Just trying to get a sense of the beneifts of the newer models over the older.

Aug 21, 2013 2:43 PM in response to Birdman325

My questions are (1) by connecting 2 old AE that only use G, am I slowing down my entire network,

No. Devices that wirelessly connect to those older Express access points will not affect 802.11n-capable wireless devices connecting to the new Extreme.

The installation you describe is the best way to keep those original Expresses in service.

Oct 1, 2013 7:47 AM in response to John Galt

I verymuch appreciate this thread but I'm still having problems. My 2008-vintage Time Capsule died and I just installed a new one of the Tower-type 2Tb Time Capsules. It seems to be working fine, but my similar vintage Airport Express is not visible. I've installed Airport Utility 5.6 and even 5.4.1 but no sign of the Airport Express. The Airport is plugged in close to the Time Capsule and is blinking orange. My Mac is running OS 10.8.5

How to Configured an old AirPort Express

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.