Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Address book not functioning properly

I am on an iMac with 10.8.3 I use Mail for my emailing.

Sometime in the last few updates my address book began to be funky and is getting worse.

1- I cannot delete names or groups. Oh yes, it says I am doing that but then the name or group just pops right back up.

2- Scrolling down is almost impossible as it keeps going back to the beginning. I can only get somewhere by pressing the down key.

3- The same name appears 2-4 times in a group. Several names in any group do that.

4- When, in a group, I go to edit, add new card, it looks OK but then adds a group instead before I have typed anything.

What should I do? Can I trash my address book and get it back from iCloud or what?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 9:06 AM

4 replies

Mar 6, 2014 7:16 AM in response to Sarabasha

I see you never got an answer. I have the same problem in 10.6 with Address Book. It has never functioned properly. Like you, I cannot delete a group. I delete one and it just pops right up. I've deleted the Application and reinstalled from the System disc, but even then it still shows these groups that I can't delete. The worst thing, though is that I have to import my old contacts every time I use the program as it will not retain them. I have about 6 groups of "contacts" that are empty and cannot be removed. Any help appreciated.

Mar 6, 2014 8:39 AM in response to Sarabasha

I'm glad you got your problem solved. Mine was a different solution as shown below.

Thanks for updating.

This solved my question by Barney-15E on Jul 29, 2011 3:20 PM

User uploaded file

Give this a shot.

If you are syncing your contacts with something, disable that for now.

Archive your Address book by going to File menu, Export, Address book Archive.

Close Address Book.

Go to the Finder and while holding down the Option key, select Library from the Go menu.

Navigate into Application Support/AddressBook.

Delete addressbook.abcddb.

Open Address Book and see how it works

Turn Syncing back on if applicable.

The file you deleted is a database that indexes the raw data to make display, search, etc faster. However, it does seem to get corrupted with updates.

See the answer in context

Address book not functioning properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.