Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to transfer projects to newly created library?

My current Aperture library has become so large that it is slow. I want to create a new library, but would like an "overlap" of a few of the projects in the existing library to the new library. How would I duplicate (if that is the correct word) a few of my projects so that they exist in both libraries? Thank you!

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 9:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 11:13 AM

The size of the library is seldom the cause of being slow, as long as the drive the library resides on has lots of free space? Where is this existing Library?

To do what you ask, you choose one or more Projects, then Export/As New Library. If the continuing New Library already exists, then Import these newly exported library or libraries into it. Otherwise, begin with one that has been so exported.

Ernie

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2013 11:13 AM in response to bobio

The size of the library is seldom the cause of being slow, as long as the drive the library resides on has lots of free space? Where is this existing Library?

To do what you ask, you choose one or more Projects, then Export/As New Library. If the continuing New Library already exists, then Import these newly exported library or libraries into it. Otherwise, begin with one that has been so exported.

Ernie

Apr 1, 2013 1:39 PM in response to bobio

Thank you. Perhaps I should be looking at another factor?

Just some thoughts in addition to Ernie's suggestions:

• Aperture may become slow, if the Aperture library needs repairing. Try the Aperture Library First Aid Tools: Launch Aperture with the ⌥⌘- key combination held down and choose "Repair database" from the pop-up menu.
  • Aperture may be slow, if you accidentally imported a corrupted image. In this case, Aperture will be much more responsive, if you launch it with the "Shift⇧" key held down. Is that the case?
  • Aperture may be slow, if you imported problematic smart albums when importing iPhoto libraries.

What is your MacOS X and Aperture version exactly?

175 GB in size,

That is a moderate size for an Aperture library. No reason to split it up.

Regards

Léonie

Apr 1, 2013 2:12 PM in response to léonie

Aperture is 3.4.3, and Mac OS is 10.8.3. The repair database option helped. The shift/up arrow key did not seem to make a difference. I did import my old iPhoto albums, but there were no smart albums. You have got me anyalyzing. I realize now that when it seems most slow is dealing with Faces, which I have been doing quite a lot in the last few weeks. The rest of the functions, to include editing with the suite of NIK plugins, now works well. So, I think you have got me back on track. Thanks!

Apr 1, 2013 2:17 PM in response to bobio

Great, bobio.

You have got me anyalyzing.

For your "analyzing" you may want to keep the "Activity Window" open for a while. (WIndow > Show Activity").

This will show you exactly how Aperture is spending its time.

What about Ernie Stamper's question:

How much RAM do you have?

Aperture on MacOS X 10.8.3 will run better with more RAM than on the previous MacOS X versions.

Regards

Léonie

How to transfer projects to newly created library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.