Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internet Recovery Terminal - Disable Startup Sound

I've scoured the forums all weekend for a resolution to this issue. I do not have OSX installed on my Macbook, and reset the PRAM without thinking about the settings stored there from the original OSX install. I would like to use Terminal from Internet Recovery or boot into a linux distro to try this. I found the command 'sudo nvram SystemAudioVolume%00' is used to disable that chime. However, I don't believe sudo or su is installed in Internet Recovery by checking various directories and using 'ls'. I'm not familiar with linux commands but read up on that as well. I'm stuck with a -bash-3.2# shell. Any suggestions? Thanks!

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), Windows 7

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 12:02 PM

6 replies

Apr 11, 2013 6:05 PM in response to BlackValor

Have you tried the command WITHOUT 'sudo'?

nvram SystemAudioVolume%00'

While I do not know for sure, it is possible that the internet recovery environment is running as 'root' already. But like I said I do not know, and I have not booted into internet recovery to figure it out either.

Of course that also assumes the 'nvram' command exists in the internet recovery environment.

Internet Recovery Terminal - Disable Startup Sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.