Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My phone just fell in water. HELP!!!!!!

My phone just fell in a tub of water, fully submerged... I grabbed it IMMEDIATELY and wiped it off with towels, tried to get into every little spot. It's working JUST fine, but then I read to turn it off, don't plug it in, take it apart and let it air dry. Well, I don't know how to take it apart, so it's currently sitting in a bag of rice.

HELP!!! what am I supposed to do now???

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 12:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 1:11 PM

Shut it off. Immediately.

Do NOT try to take it apart. Doing so will forfeit your right to a discounted replacement from Apple.

Put it in a bag of uncooked rice, or silica gel. Put it up on a shelf in the closet.

LEAVE IT THERE for a week. DO NOT try and take it out to power it on during that time to see if it's working.

If it works after that, great. If not, make an appointment at the genius bar. An out of warranty replacement will cost you $229. $49 if you purchased AppleCare+ with the phone.

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2013 1:11 PM in response to laurenashlayy

Shut it off. Immediately.

Do NOT try to take it apart. Doing so will forfeit your right to a discounted replacement from Apple.

Put it in a bag of uncooked rice, or silica gel. Put it up on a shelf in the closet.

LEAVE IT THERE for a week. DO NOT try and take it out to power it on during that time to see if it's working.

If it works after that, great. If not, make an appointment at the genius bar. An out of warranty replacement will cost you $229. $49 if you purchased AppleCare+ with the phone.

Apr 1, 2013 1:12 PM in response to laurenashlayy

Leave it in the bag of rice for a few days. If you're lucky, the internals will dry out and cause no hardware damage. If problems arise, you'll need to take or send the iPhone to Apple and pay for replacement. Do not attempt to take it apart unless you're willing to give up all further support from Apple including their out-of-warranty replacement program.

Regard.

Apr 1, 2013 2:07 PM in response to KiltedTim

Thank you! I haven't tried doing anything to it, other than putting it in the rice.

I am SO WORRIED!!!! Ok, my other question is that I don't have the AppleCare or anything, I've NEVER had anything like this happen since I've had an iPhone (for like 6 years). Will it still only cost $229? I just got my upgrade for the 5 about 3 months ago.

Thanks for all your help!

My phone just fell in water. HELP!!!!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.