Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp boot -> black screen Blink cursor SOLVED!

Hi everybody!

After few days trying to solve this issue, I've finally solved it!

My problem was that after installing the Windows 7 64bits on a bootcamp partition, windows didn't boot, and only a black screen with a blinking cursos is shown on the iMac screen.

Finally I've found 3 commands that have solved the boot problem.

Turn on the iMac with the Windows 7 Installation Disc on SuperDrive or Windows 7 installation on the USB.

Press the Alt until the boot selector is shown.

Select the DVD/USB windows installation

Select your language and time bla bla bla.. click next.

After that, select Repair.

Then select the windows installation and click next,

After click on the last option from the menu to open a Prompt window.

Write and press enter after each sentence:

1- c:/Bootrec.exe /FixMbr

2- c:/Bootrec.exe /FixBoot

3- c:/Bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd

Each command return a successfull message.

Close, and reboot!!

GOOD LUCK!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 2:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 3:27 PM

Apple has had a tech note on this already, no?

http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3173

22 replies

Apr 17, 2013 1:19 PM in response to Xavi Comes

Hola Xavi,

I am running into the same issue, the Apple support call center has been unable to help.

I have tried to follow your suggestion, however at no time can I find the "Repair" option when booting on the USB.

After the language and time and blabla as you put it, there are options to install and that's it...

I would be very grateful if you could give me an additional helping hand.

Many thanks in advance!

Apr 17, 2013 2:39 PM in response to Midship

Hi! What's up?

First of all, I have to ask you if you are running an original Windows 7 SP1 installation iso?

I've read in some threads that with new bootcamp versions you must use an original installation disk/iso.

After that, when you boot from your USB drive, first screen after the black "Windows is loading files..." screen, is the one that asks you to choose your installation language, hour and currency setting and keyboard layout. Then hit Next.

User uploaded file

The next screen shows a big center button with the Install text, BUT in the left bottom corner you will see the Repair action text. Press there with the mouse, or move with the keyboard cursor keys.

User uploaded file

The screen below ask you to choose the windows installation partition (C:bootcamp).

User uploaded file

And the final screen let you choose too many options. The last one is the correct one. Command Prompt.

There you have to follow the command lines that i said on my prevoius thread.

I wish this help! 😉

Please, ask if you need something else!

Apr 18, 2013 12:02 AM in response to Xavi Comes

Hola Xavi,

Very nice of you to have answered so fast and done this painstaking work of taking print screens, very much appreciated!

I have an original OEM Windows 7 install disk. I generated the ISO file from it to create the USB boot key. However, the strange thing is that I do not get your second screen at all, at any time in the process.

I have no idea what to do next, now... Would you have a suggestion?

Saludos cordiales,

François

Apr 18, 2013 12:31 AM in response to Midship

Hola!

Well, I have installed too many windows 7 in diferent machines, PC's, Mac's.. And the second screen always have appeared.. It is strange that you don't have this step... I can't imagine the reason...

Try to only hit one the buttons, I mean, be patient. Probably you hit twice the mouse or the keyboard¿?

I'm sorry but this situation is uncontrolled for me!!

Well, tell me anything!

Sorry for my bad english.

Saludos 🙂

Bootcamp boot -> black screen Blink cursor SOLVED!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.