Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted original files from Aperture, emptied the Trash, Files are still in external HD. Why?

Hello,

I tried deleting original files from my external hard drive using " Delete Original Image and All Versions".

It moved the pictures to the Aperture Trash as expected.

I emptied the Trash.

Pictures are still in my external drive, but not in aperture.

1. Why is that?

2. Since I need to deleted those files anyway, is there and elegant way of identifying files that are in the external hard drive but not in Aperture?

For info, I also tried to move files from a folder to another folder in Aperture using "Move original..." The files changed project's but they are still in their original location in the external hard drive.

I thought it could be a permission or protected image issue, but I can make those changes in the Finder just fine.

Thanks

David

Aperture 3, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 4:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 11:20 PM

David,

Have you looked into the Trash in your Dock to see, if any image files have been trashed? And emptied your Trash?

For some hints on deleting original image files see Frank Cagiiano's User Tip:

Deleting version also deleted the master

For info, I also tried to move files from a folder to another folder in Aperture using "Move original..." The files changed project's but they are still in their original location in the external hard drive.

Move original? Do you mean the option "Move" when using "File > Relocate"?

Maybe it is a problem with your external hard drive. How is the drive connected to your mac, and how is it formatted? Does it have a MacOS X Extended (Journaled) file system?

Have you checked the File System on that drive, if t needs repairing? You can do that from Disk Utility.

is there and elegant way of identifying files that are in the external hard drive but not in Aperture?

The usual way to do that is exactly what you are trying to do: Select all referenced images in Aperture and relocate all images temporarily to a different folder and delete the images that do not move.

But right now I would not delete any image at all, until you solved the problem, why the files are not moved correctly. It would be more important to check, if your backup of the drive that is behaving strangely is current and working properly.

Regards

Léonie

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2013 11:20 PM in response to David AH.

David,

Have you looked into the Trash in your Dock to see, if any image files have been trashed? And emptied your Trash?

For some hints on deleting original image files see Frank Cagiiano's User Tip:

Deleting version also deleted the master

Maybe it is a problem with your external hard drive. How is the drive connected to your mac, and how is it formatted? Does it have a MacOS X Extended (Journaled) file system?

Have you checked the File System on that drive, if t needs repairing? You can do that from Disk Utility.

is there and elegant way of identifying files that are in the external hard drive but not in Aperture?

The usual way to do that is exactly what you are trying to do: Select all referenced images in Aperture and relocate all images temporarily to a different folder and delete the images that do not move.

But right now I would not delete any image at all, until you solved the problem, why the files are not moved correctly. It would be more important to check, if your backup of the drive that is behaving strangely is current and working properly.

Regards

Léonie

Apr 22, 2013 8:11 PM in response to léonie

Hi Léonie,

Yes the files are not going to the trash, it remains empty, there is just nothing going on with my external Drive.

Reading your post and other posts, I think the problem lies with the kind of external Drive I have. It is a WD My book live which is apparently a NAS (Network attached Storage) and not a DAS (Direct...) and I don't think it has the right file system. The finder sees it as an other computer under the Shared resource category and not as an external Disk.

I guess I'll go simple and just buy another disk from the Apple store and try that out, I need the redundancy anyway.

Yes, I meant Relocate Original but I guess all my problems are linked.

Thanks for your help,

Danke

David

Deleted original files from Aperture, emptied the Trash, Files are still in external HD. Why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.