Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

computer is no longer authorized to play purchased items on your iPhone

I am all of a sudden getting an alert "this computer is no longer authorized to play purchased items that are on the iPhone “Bob's iPhone 5”. Would you like to authorize this computer...?"

No changes or deauthorization were done to Mac before this alert. Worked fine this morning.

When I try to reauthorize it tells me I already am authorized, and then cycles back to the alert window telling me I am not authorized. Same for my iPhone 5 and my iPad.

Any thoughts?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 5:20 PM

15 replies

Apr 1, 2013 8:17 PM in response to milepost60

Transfer it to your iTunes library (connect your phone to your computer, open iTunes, go to File>Devices>Transfer Purchases). Then right-click on the app in your apps folder, select Get Info, on the Summary tab look at the Apple ID field.

If it won't transfer to your iTunes library this usually indicates your computer is not authorized for the ID that was used to purchase it.

Apr 1, 2013 8:43 PM in response to randers4

Thanks. Tried it and the transfer did not seem to balk at anything. It brought over the Depeche Mode freebie I downloaded yesterday fine, and that shows up on the Mac. But after that I tried a synch again with the same results. Other than upgrades to existing apps, the only new thing I downloaded recently were from the app store were mailbox (which I deleted shortly after, and a tax submission status app.

Apr 1, 2013 9:01 PM in response to randers4

I just tried it. Restarted the Mac and the iphone 5. Same results. One thing I noticed is that when I get an alert the computer is no longer authorized, it brings up a different email address from my .mac account to try to authorize it again. When I change that address and put in the correct password, it just recycles again. Looks like something else is driving it, but no clue what that is.

I'll have to keep thinking about it. No sense to me either. Thanks for the good ideas though.

Apr 3, 2013 6:28 PM in response to randers4

Hey there,

You discussion came up in a search for the same error message that milepost included in the start of this thread.

I have the same error message across multiple devices that my family uses. It is intermittent and once I put my password in for the account it comes up with a window that says something to the effect that all 5 of 5 computers have been authorized for this account - but it seems to carry on after that.

I just wanted to add that I am seeing a similar message and do not recall anything that has changed to cause it. We are a multi iOS family but so I just wanted to confirm that the limit of 5 refers to computers - not to the number of iOS devices that may be managed on the computers - is that correct?

Apr 3, 2013 6:45 PM in response to Scott Gillespie3

Correct. A maximum of 5 computers can be authorized to play or sync purchased content (see http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1420). There is no limit to the number of iOS devices can sync purchased content from an authorized computer. However, an iOS device can only sync with a single computer at a time. If you sync an iOS device with a computer and then attempt to sync the same device with a different computer, iTunes will delete all iTunes media from the device and replace it with the iTunes media from the new iTunes library it is being synced with.

Apr 3, 2013 6:57 PM in response to randers4

Thanks for the confirmation and the link.

I will work through that as far as I can. Just as the info page warns against, I think some of my very old Macs may have gone to recycling some time ago - before I thought to deauthorize them.

I suppose I am going to have to do take the "deauthorize all" route but it leaves me a bit anxious that I will loose connections to "iTunes match" and other services that are linked to my account.

Thanks for your help.

Apr 3, 2013 7:02 PM in response to Scott Gillespie

All you will need to do after deauthorizing all is to reauthorize the ID you are using for iTunes Match (along with any other IDs used for purchased media in your library) in Store>Authorize This Computer. Then turn on iTunes Match again (Store>Turn on iTunes Match), add the computer and let it rescan your library. Then you'll be back in business. You'll need to do this on each of your computers that you are using iTunes Match on.

Just a note: you can only deauthorize all computers once/year.

computer is no longer authorized to play purchased items on your iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.