Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change Mac admin password without the disk

I need help desperately!!!

I just bought a used Macbook (13") from GainSaver.

I am having issues, as I want to install things on the hard drive, but it is asking for an administrator password.

I had never been asked to enter one anywhere, but I tried every password I would ever know/use - nothing has worked.

I cannot install anything on this computer. So I need to find a way to change the administrator password without the disk.

I found online some directions - tried these - and it did NOT work !! Kept saying 'no such File or Directory' - this was scaring me that I might

screw up my computer completely, so I tried to exit out of this....so this is what I tried, but it did not work (see below). If you have any ideas

please tell me. I am illiterate when it comes to computers and need specific directions. Thank you for your prompt reply.

http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-73393-change-mac-admin-password-without-the-d isk

Creating a new Admin on Mac Os X:

Here's how to reset your OS X password without an OS X CD.

the Working solution for me was to create a new admin

you can create new admin like this by deleting a specific file.

You need to enter terminal and create a new admin account:

1. Reboot

2. Hold apple key + s key down after you hear the chime.

(command + s keys on newer Macs)

3. When you get text prompt enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

4. After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account. When you login as the new admin you can simply delete the old one and your good to go again!

MacBook (13-inch Early 2008), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 6:02 PM

2 replies

Change Mac admin password without the disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.