Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBook G4 (Mid 2005) Apple Hardware Test Freezes

I am trying to run Apple Hardware Test on my iBook G4, but it keeps freezing during the logic board test for both the extended and quick tests. I do not have any of the original discs that came with the machine, so I found a dmg online for the aht and burned it. The filename was 018-2056-A.dmg.

Now, my original problem was that my ethernet was not working. I was getting a self-assigned IP address (you know, the kind that don't work), which I considered par for the course for the network here until I realized that this was the case even when there was no cable plugged in. I also noticed that the device on the other end of the cable does not recognize that its connected to anything at all when I plug it into my Mac. Suspecting that my nic might be DOA, I tried running Apple Hardware Test, but of course, that's freezing whenever I run it. I find this odd, because I'm not having any other issues with the machine, and I don't understand why a bad nic would prevent the test from completing. Regardless, I'm used to troubleshooting PC's, so I thought I'd come here for some help. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

iBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 9:56 PM

4 replies

Apr 3, 2013 2:00 PM in response to Knucklesmac

Yes, Ethernet shows as connected with an automatically assigned IP address, regardless of the physical state of the connection. Sometimes, when I put the machine in sleep mode, it is orange and says "not connected" upon resuming, but it always turns green and gets a 169 address shortly. I have tried renewing my DHCP license as well as manually configuring settings. When I manually configure the IP settings, it simply says "Connected" but the connection does not work and the device on the other end never recognizes that anything is connected to it at all.

Apr 3, 2013 3:17 PM in response to Knucklesmac

I have tried connecting it to my dorm's internet connection, a router, and my Windows 8 PC. All three of those devices do not recognize that anyting is plugged in when connected to my iBook. When configured manually, the iBook says its connected but I cannot ping my other machine. I receive the message "Host is down" with an occasional "No route to host" regardless of whether or not anything is connected. I also cannot ping the iBook from my PC. I am using several CAT5e patch cables as I test and all of them work with other devices.

iBook G4 (Mid 2005) Apple Hardware Test Freezes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.