Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhoto Library (version 8.1.2) is 280GB (greater than 50% of my 500GB total storage memory on my iMac. It was too large for me to drag it to a new hard drive so the Apple geniuses did it for me. However they did not delete the Library from my iMac

My iPhoto Library (version 8.1.2) is 280GB (greater than 50% of my 500GB total storage memory on my iMac. It was too large for me to drag it to a new hard drive so the Apple geniuses did it for me. However they did not delete the Library from my iMac (that's my responsibility). I dragged it to Trash and when it started to move I clicked over to the new hard drive to confirm it had indeed been copied. I became nervous when I didn't see among the few files on this otherwise empty new hard drive anything that resembled a 280GB Library so I cancelled the migration to trash.

How can I be sure that my iphoto has been copied and that all my "metadata" survived in tact?

iMac (24-inch Early 2008), Mac OS X (10.6.8), 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; 4 GB 800

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 11:32 PM

5 replies

Apr 2, 2013 2:09 AM in response to BG Big Apple

the new backup drive

I thought the new drive would be your data drive to host the iPhoto library. Do you also use it for TimeMachine backups?

I am unable to search either in email as well as Finder. I AM able to search within iPhoto though, thankfully

Spotlight may still be busy rebuildig its index.

You could try to rebuild the Spotlight Index, if you do see no progress:

Spotlight: How to re-index folders or volumes

I hope, other frequent posters will drop in. I have not used iPhoto 8.x in long time.

My iPhoto Library (version 8.1.2) is 280GB (greater than 50% of my 500GB total storage memory on my iMac. It was too large for me to drag it to a new hard drive so the Apple geniuses did it for me. However they did not delete the Library from my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.