Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

creating a distribution list

How do I create a distribution list in mail ?

I have 50 or so email address (not in my address contact book) that I need to send emails to on a regular basis.

So far I have just copied and pasted them into my mail program but as the names change monthly there must be a better way.

I can see you can create a distrution list out of contacts in contacts app but how this does not seem to allow me to make a group just from email address I have.

any ideas please.

thanks

MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Apr 2, 2013 5:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2013 5:30 AM

Create a group in Contacts and add the desired contacts to it. Then just send the message to that group.

19 replies

Aug 21, 2013 5:51 PM in response to Robin Bonathan

RB: Did you ever find an answer to your question. I have the same problem. I have list of over 300 e-mail addresses to which I wanted to (relatively) quickly send a single e-mail. I did not have the time or inclination to create a new card for each, transfer each bit of information to the card, and move each of the 300+ cards into the group.

WTH?

I cannot believe that Apple Mail provides no way to either create a "group" or stored distribution list in batch or allow me to reliably copy the 300+ e-mails into the "to", "cc", or "bcc" distribution lists from a speadsheet.

Aug 21, 2013 6:09 PM in response to MC Mahaney

I don't think you can send over 100 email addresses in Mail, and most, if not all, ISP's probably do not allow it either.

If you have a "list of over 300 e-mail addresses," just drag that list to the To field.

I don't know how much text you can fit in a Text Clipping, but you can drag the selected "list of emails" to the Desktop and it will create a Text Clipping. You can then drag that text clipping to the address fields in Mail.

Dec 12, 2013 2:49 AM in response to Robin Bonathan

Sorry I have only just seen this. I was hoping for a better solution than the one I have, but I am now thinking mine is better than any of the above. What I have done is create STATIONERY inside mail - you can put any number of email addresses into the TO, CC or BCC boxes there, and save as stationery. Then whenever the list changes, you can open a new mail, use stationery, choose custom, pick yours, change the TO list as required, then save as stationery and overwrite the old one. This way you don't have to have the email addresses linked in any way to contacts.

Dec 12, 2013 2:51 AM in response to MC Mahaney

Sorry I have only just seen this. I was hoping for a better solution than the one I have, but I am now thinking mine is better than any of the above. What I have done is create STATIONERY inside mail - you can put any number of email addresses into the TO, CC or BCC boxes there, and save as stationery. Then whenever the list changes, you can open a new mail, use stationery, choose custom, pick yours, change the TO list as required, then save as stationery and overwrite the old one. This way you don't have to have the email addresses linked in any way to contacts.

creating a distribution list

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.