Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External DVD drive not showing in mountain lion

Hi

I am on late 2008 macbook running mountain lion 10.8 and i have a problem with my internal dvd player, it is not working. I just needed to read a dvd in my macbook so i have a regular disktop pc dvd player.

I connected the dvd player to the power supply and connected it to my macbook through usb ( The same way i connect my old hard drives when i used to use pc ) but it seems that mountain lion is not reading it.

Any help?

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Apr 2, 2013 7:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2013 7:19 AM

With the DVD drive connected, go to System Preferences > Sharing and make sure CD/DVD Sharing is checked.

17 replies

Apr 2, 2013 8:23 AM in response to ipad-ea

I've used an external burner for years and have noticed the following:

a. it does not show anywhere except my Roxio Toast (burn) software, and

b. unless I have a disc inserted, I cannot control it from within Toast either.

So, my method: plug in burner, insert disk, launch Toast, and burn whatever it is I need to burn. Once done, use Toast to eject disk.

Apr 2, 2013 8:56 AM in response to ipad-ea

Well if your Mac has a Built in DVD drive that is the only way Apple lets you install Windows. All Mac's that have built in DVD drives Apple has put restrictions on where the Win 7 installer will boot from and that is only from the built in DVD drive.

So even if you get that external DVD drive to show up you won't be able to install Windows from it.

Apr 2, 2013 9:32 AM in response to Zlig

You know that works just fine on a Mac Air, or Retina, or the newest iMac computers as none of them came with or come with a "Built In" (That Is Built In) DVD drive.

If there was a workaround for jthis restriction I would of found it and I would of posted the solution. But the simple fact is there is one.

Zlig wrote:

Try following these instructions:

External DVD drive not showing in mountain lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.