Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 11: how to extract mp3 from mp4?

The subject says it all: how to I extract just the audio track from a series of mp4 videos?

These are downloaded class videos - copy protection is not a factor.

Google tells me to go to the iTunes Advanced menu, which no longer seems to exist. Ctrl-click, Option-click, Command-click all do not show me an "extract audio" option. I've been to iTunes->Preferences->Import Settings - no real help there.

(To add to my confusion, I figured out how to do this last week. What could have changed?!)

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Apr 2, 2013 10:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2013 10:14 PM

Okay... I found it! There no longer is an "Advanced" menu.... however, if you click on the video you want and then go to "FILE" (up top) and near the bottom of the drop-down box you will see "Create New Version". The "Create Mp3 Version" is grayed out until you hold the "Option" key on your keyboard and then click on "Create Mp3 Version" and extract the audio from the video. Finally! Hope this helps.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2013 10:14 PM in response to whoami24601

Okay... I found it! There no longer is an "Advanced" menu.... however, if you click on the video you want and then go to "FILE" (up top) and near the bottom of the drop-down box you will see "Create New Version". The "Create Mp3 Version" is grayed out until you hold the "Option" key on your keyboard and then click on "Create Mp3 Version" and extract the audio from the video. Finally! Hope this helps.

Feb 19, 2015 1:12 PM in response to C F McBlob

Thanks for the app tip, C.F. A question, though --

-- if the idea is to export the audio which is within the mp4 video, how do you know which audio format to select in the any-video-converter application?

For instance, for an mp4 file i have, any-video--converter identifies the audio codec as only "aac (undetermined)"; but then in the export "profiles" for audio, there are 4 different options that use aac.

I assume if I pick a "conversion" format which is different from the one which is actually inside the file I will end up re-compressing the audio, degrading the sound quality. What i really want to do is to simply extract what's there (i.e. without transformation).

Any advice?

Feb 19, 2015 3:20 PM in response to Picador

CF's suggest doesn't export the audio, it converts it and in the process of doing so it loses quality. Use a free utility such as MPEGStreamclip which has a menu item which lets you demux or split videos into individual tracks. If it is unprotected video and the audio format is AAC (= m4a) then you have an AAC track with no additional conversion.

Feb 20, 2015 6:27 AM in response to Limnos

Thanks, Limnos. That's just what I want to do (demux or split). I got MPEGStreamclip; but I don't see the menu item(s) you refer to. There are "Export Audio" options, but these all appear to re-compress, rather than extract. For instance:

Showing "Stream Info" on my original video reports:

Audio Tracks: MPEG-4 Audio stereo, 44.1 kHz, 126 kbps

After selecting MPEGStreamClip's "Export Audio" menu item, selecting format "MP4", and exporting; and then opening the resulting audio file, I see that "stream info" reports:

Audio Tracks: MPEG-4 Audio stereo, 44.1 kHz, 256 kbps

So clearly, the audio was transformed rather than extracted. (Sound is not quite as bright, either)

Any advice where to find the feature you refer to, or other apps to try?

Feb 20, 2015 7:00 AM in response to Picador

I run an old computer (OSX 10.4) so the suite of software I can run may differ.

In my version of Streamclip 1.9.3b4 I see "Save track" in the file menu. I would think newer versions would have it if my ancient one does but they may have moved menus.

I also have a suite of tools called "Movie Tools" whch do various things.

Feb 26, 2015 1:23 PM in response to Jan210

How do you do this if you have a PC and not a Mac? I can follow all the steps, up to the point where Create New Version' is displayed and you have three choices ... but MP3 is greyed out as a choice. When I press ALT (the PC version of Option), it simply closes the drop-down menu on me as opposed to un-greying the option. How do I get around this? Seems stupid to install a feature in iTunes that only works for Mac users and not those on a PC.

Feb 27, 2015 11:19 AM in response to Limnos

Thank you ... I didn't even realize I wasn't in the right place.
(*headdesk*)

I found this thread after doing a Google search, and completely missed that it was the "iTunes for Mac" forum, not the one for PC's. I didn't think to look because I honestly didn't even know that there were two different forums ... which shows you how often I usually have to reach out for help with this kind of thing!

I need WAY more caffeine!!

Thanks for the tip. (*feeling sheepish*)

iTunes 11: how to extract mp3 from mp4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.