Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't turn off vpn

I can't turn off VPN on my iPhone 5. I downloaded an app that utilized VPN, I erased it and now I can't turn VPN off. Any ideas?

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Apr 2, 2013 1:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2017 5:03 PM

The same problem was happening to me, every time I tried to turn VPN off it would just switch back on so I went to investigate...

I solved the problem by going to General in Settings, scroll down until you see VPN, click on it and any connection that has previously been made will show up, then you click on the "information" Icon on the far right on the same connection bar, and turn off "Connect on Demand"

Hope this helps because it took me around an hour to figure it out even tho it sounds like the simplest task. Good luck!

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2017 5:03 PM in response to jong1969

The same problem was happening to me, every time I tried to turn VPN off it would just switch back on so I went to investigate...

I solved the problem by going to General in Settings, scroll down until you see VPN, click on it and any connection that has previously been made will show up, then you click on the "information" Icon on the far right on the same connection bar, and turn off "Connect on Demand"

Hope this helps because it took me around an hour to figure it out even tho it sounds like the simplest task. Good luck!

Dec 21, 2014 5:42 PM in response to safespace53078

I have iPhone 4s, had a similar problem when I upgraded iOS. In my case there was a newer version of the VPN app certificates required to be installed. Reading through these replies it seems that depending on the VPN you use the auto connect function can be either configured within the VPN itself e.g. in VyprVpn I had to run the app to find the auto-connect setting to turn it off but with other apps the auto-connect setting can be held within the app settings in the iPhone settings. Hope this helps you somewhat.

May 10, 2015 2:16 PM in response to jong1969

This was driving me crazy. I was having the same issue, with the switch toggling back on. If you go to settings, then general, there is a separate VPN setting. Click there and you should see the VPN program you installed, even if you deleted it. From there, click the info button next to the program and turn off connect on demand. Then in that same VPN settings page, you can turn off the switch for VPN connections. This was slowing my internet connection down by about 75% even on wifi, and I'm back full force. Hope this helps.

Oct 15, 2015 11:53 AM in response to Bflorencio

That worked for me!

I'd been pulling out my hair all day with a case of tech-rage. After about one million requests for my Apple ID (which i inputted correctly, but the phone wouldn't recognize it), synching on iTunes, updating operating system, soft-rebooting.....your explanation was the magic bullet that fixed everything. Thank you!

can't turn off vpn

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.