You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Retina screen is not working, but external is.

Today my Macbook Pro Retina 15" screen stopped working. It is completely black, and nothing is shown on the screen. Not even backlight. It boots (I can hear the boot sound, and have managed to launch iTunes, and play songs), but the screen never shows. The weird thing is that the external monitor works if i boot it with the external monitor connected, though the macbook-monitor is not working ever. Should also mention that I had my macbook on service a few months ago, and they had to change the macbook-monitor.

Tried the following.

• Recovery boot
  • Verbose boot
  • Reset NVRAM
  • Reset SMC
  • Booting with external, and then taking the HDMI cable out, to see if it goes over to macbook-monitor only. But it is just black, but i can run itunes in the background.

I suspect either a:

• Screen cable inside macbook is loose.
  • Software bug by apple.

Any ideas of a quick fix? Or what the reason might be?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 2, 2013 2:35 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2013 9:21 AM

I handed it for service. They tried to replace the screen, didn't work. Then they replaced the motherboard, which worked, and I got i back. 3 days later i had the same problem. Happens after closing the macbook after the external display have been used.

5 replies

Apr 13, 2013 9:33 AM in response to andypandy2k

If I were you, I would ask for a replacement, since a logic board replacement didn't seem to help matters - as well as trying a screen replacement! I would ask to speak to a store manager, explain the problem and ask for a replacement.

The only thing they can do is to refuse... and to try replacing the the parts again.

Clinton

Feb 10, 2015 6:52 PM in response to davidrf

I have been having the same problem. What I've found is slapping or hitting the computer a couple times gets the screen to turn on. Sometimes, if that doesn't work, I just let it be for a little bit and it magically ends up working. I am absolutely not joking. It happens in cycles for me. Usually, the screen is fine, and then every now and then, it screws up consistently, in brief episodes. To this point, however, its never been more than an hour before I get the computer to work.

Should I get the screen replaced? It doesn't look like that worked for the OP.

Macbook Pro Retina screen is not working, but external is.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.