Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't connect to my iphone 4s personal hotspot

I'm running iOS 6.1.3.

I enabled the personal hot spot almost a year ago for a one month road trip. It was occasionaly a little quirky in terms of getting it to show up on the laptop but eventually it would and it always connected without a problem. At the end of the road trip I disabled it and dropped my data plan back down.

Now I'm going on another road trip and want to use the hot spot feature again. I changed my data plan to the 5 GB for iPhone Personal Hotspot and rebooted my phone and enabled the personal hotspot in settings.

The phone shows up as a network choice on all of my Windows wireless devices but none of them can connect. It asks for the network password and after it is entered it spends a few seconds saying it is connecting and then gives up with an error that it can't connect and offering to troubleshoot the network. The troubleshooter identifies it as a device that can't be connected to but doesn't offer to fix anything.

I've tried rebooting the phone and the computer. I've tried just turning the iPhone off and back on. The issue isn't that the network isn't showing up. It is and with a strong signal. The issue is that after entering the correct password nothing will connect with it.

I've seen several related posts but they, for the most pasrt, are about the hot spot network not showing up. Mine shows up just fine -- just won't allow a connection.

Anybody have any idea what I need to do to get this to work?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Howard

Redmond, WA

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Apr 2, 2013 3:42 PM

5 replies

Apr 2, 2013 4:18 PM in response to razmee209

I probably should have been more specific in my first post. I have tried various corrective steps including the ones found at this link. Below is the network event log entry from the failed attempt to connect. As you can see, the connecting system can see the hotspot but can't get the hotspot to answer roll call. It thinks it might be a signal strength issue but in fact it has a strong [all 5 bars] signal.

==========================================================================

Diagnostics Information (Wireless Network Adapter)

Details about wireless network adapter diagnosis:

For complete information about this session see the wireless connectivity information event.

Helper Class: Native WiFi MSM

Initialize status: Success

Information for connection being diagnosed

Interface GUID: 2aaaf9c6-d20f-4ac7-b82e-3da56a3c56f7

Interface name: D-Link DWA-556 Xtreme N PCIe Desktop Adapter

Interface type: Native WiFi

Profile: Discovery connection

SSID: Howard's iPhone

SSID length: 15

Connection mode: Infra

Security: Yes

Connect even if network is not broadcasting: No

Result of diagnosis: Problem found

Root cause:

Wireless association to "Howard's iPhone" failed

A response was not received from the router or access point.

Detailed root cause:

Wireless association to this network failed. Windows did not receive any response from the wireless router or accesspoint.

Repair option:

Look for causes of low wireless signal quality

The signal is weak due to distance or interference.

Windows Help and Support can provide more information about this problem.

Jul 21, 2015 10:07 PM in response to HowardFromRedmond

I had this problem and came here. No one's solution helped but I managed to get it working.

First of all, I tried restarted everything and nothing worked. It worked previously at home and now that I am overseas it stopped working again.

The answer for me was a lot simpler than I expected. I have a Lenovo x1 carbon thinkpad. All I did was plug my iphone6 in using a usb cable and then once it asked me "do i trust this computer" i clicked yes instead of the usual no.

After that, it connected immediately and as per usual.

Hope this helps you guys.

Can't connect to my iphone 4s personal hotspot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.