Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac G3 wont turn on

Hello Mac fans, i got a problem today, I get 2 iMac G3 Slot loading(Blueberry and Lime) but, Surprise!!! 😮 When i open both macs, there's not Rams and HD!. Well... haha, but when i try to turn on both, nothing happen, the blueberry show the green light and i listen the sound of the crt but immediately turn off, the lime didn't turn on at all...
I was thinking that was the missing ram, but searching in similiar discussion of the topic, i realized that the macs play a beep when there's no ram, and my macs didn't plays that beep, so... i don't know what's happening? Could Someone tell me if my macs are really dead or it's just something that i could fix it?

Note: Sorry if i have a bad english, i'm from costa rica and i still learning English

iMac G3-OTHER, Mac OS 9.2.x

Posted on Apr 2, 2013 2:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2013 6:00 PM

Your English is pretty good, actually... 🙂

A lot of different things could be wrong, since those Macs are quite old at this point. The iMac does a "self-test" at power up, and if something does not pass, it does not continue (probably for safety reasons). It could be a power supply problem. Those CRTs use very high-voltage, so it could be related that component. Make sure you have tried more than one power cord, in case it's a bad power cord. It could be the missing RAM or dead PRAM battery, but I think you are correct that it should do something more than "nothing."

There is a small button inside the iMac, that resets the PMU (power management). This image shows the location, along with instructions.

http://mrjcd.com/junk/PMU.jpg

Please note where is says to ONLY PRESS IT ONE TIME.

I had a case when my even older tray-loader iMac G3 seemed to be dead, and pressing it PMU reset button made it power up again.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2013 6:00 PM in response to chuz696

Your English is pretty good, actually... 🙂

A lot of different things could be wrong, since those Macs are quite old at this point. The iMac does a "self-test" at power up, and if something does not pass, it does not continue (probably for safety reasons). It could be a power supply problem. Those CRTs use very high-voltage, so it could be related that component. Make sure you have tried more than one power cord, in case it's a bad power cord. It could be the missing RAM or dead PRAM battery, but I think you are correct that it should do something more than "nothing."

There is a small button inside the iMac, that resets the PMU (power management). This image shows the location, along with instructions.

http://mrjcd.com/junk/PMU.jpg

Please note where is says to ONLY PRESS IT ONE TIME.

I had a case when my even older tray-loader iMac G3 seemed to be dead, and pressing it PMU reset button made it power up again.

iMac G3 wont turn on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.