Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CCC or Time Machine

Dear Friends,

Hi, I bought a refurbished Macbook 4,1 at present it is running Lion 10.7.5( although it is an older machine circa 2008) I would like to transfer everything from my old machine( early intel Macbook Pro) to the newer machine. My older machine runs Mac OS x 10.6.8 and that allows me run some very old software. Should I make a time machine back up?and restore it or use CCC? to transfer everything, the system, applications and data.

Thanks for your help

-Walt

Posted on Apr 2, 2013 3:02 PM

1 reply

Apr 3, 2013 7:10 AM in response to Walter Lieberman

You can't transfer OS X to a different model of Mac, however if you CCC the old machine to a external drive and then use Migration/Setup Assistant on the new machine against the old Mac's clone, it's faster than doing it from TimeMachine drive and if it borks up or you want to do things cleaner, you always have the option of accessing the old clone manually and dragging and dropping files.

Most commonly used backup methods

CCC or Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.