Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What about TOO MUCH SECURITY???

What about TOO MUCH SECURITY??? I always played the SET puzzle in the New York times, which required the Java plug in. No problem, until I installed Mountain Lion, which I am beginning to REGRET. After installing the new OS, the NYT game page required that I install the newest version of Java. Now I'm completely frozen up when I try to play my puzzle. Just the stupid Java icon, with the squares circling endlessly around the coffee cup. It went on for an hour, and I finally gave up. I have to restart everything before I can use the browser again. Any suggestions??

iMac (24-inch Early 2008)

Posted on Apr 2, 2013 6:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2013 6:44 PM

Is playing that game worth the extreme security risk of having Java enabled in your web browser? Are you aware that Java is currently vulnerable, allowing a web site to install malware on your machine without any user interaction required? Further, that has been the case for 25 days (this time), with no fix available yet. And that's just the latest incident... Java has been involved in getting the majority of Mac malware installed over the last year.

For more information, see:

Java is vulnerable… Again?!

http://www.thesafemac.com/tag/java/

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2013 6:44 PM in response to Mango2005

Is playing that game worth the extreme security risk of having Java enabled in your web browser? Are you aware that Java is currently vulnerable, allowing a web site to install malware on your machine without any user interaction required? Further, that has been the case for 25 days (this time), with no fix available yet. And that's just the latest incident... Java has been involved in getting the majority of Mac malware installed over the last year.

For more information, see:

Java is vulnerable… Again?!

http://www.thesafemac.com/tag/java/

What about TOO MUCH SECURITY???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.