Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Retina SMC Update 1.1 Won't Install

Hi Everybody. I am having a really annoying problem with my rMBP. I have the update labaled: "MacBook Pro Retina SMC Update 1.1" Available in my Mac AppStore app. After I click update, I get a prompt letting me know that the laptop needs to be plugged in, I hit ok. It downloads (very small file) and asks me to Restart or hit "Not Now". I click restart, the system reboots into a updating page where a status bar quickly completes. The laptop restarts again back to OSX. I open up the appstore and goto the updates page and what do I see? 1 available update: MacBook Pro Retina SMC Update 1.1, like I never did anything to begin with.

My system info is:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro10,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBP101.00EE.B02

SMC Version (system): 2.3f32

Serial Number (system): xxx

Hardware UUID: xxx

Please help this is really annoying.

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 2, 2013 6:55 PM

9 replies

Apr 4, 2013 12:05 PM in response to DemetriAA

I have the same issue. I've tried a number of different things such as an SMC restart (Holding Shift+Control+Option and hit the power button from a powered off state) and it did reset, but still didn't update. I've also tried downloading the update from Apple as well as the App Store. Not sure why, but there are many many people having this issue and no official response from Apple on how to successfully get it installed.

Apr 22, 2013 3:59 AM in response to DemetriAA

I had the same problem. Tried all the proposed fixes. Nothing worked. This solved my problem:

1. Install a fresh copy of mountain lion on an extern disk

2. Startup from that disk

3. Update to 10.8.3.

4. Restart

5. Open app store, go to updates. You should see the SMC 1.1. update.

6. Click update

7. Restart

Once the update installed (fan will go quickly to max speed during startup) switch back to your internal disk and start up. Now the SMC 1.1. update shouldn't show up in the app store/upadtes.

MacBook Pro Retina SMC Update 1.1 Won't Install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.