Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Volume Fluctuates Automatically [iTunes 11 / Win 8 x64]

Ok, so this issue is starting to bug me more and more now:

iTunes will play music, and periodically it will automatically adjust the volume a little louder and then a little softer, and back and forth and back and forth...

When it starts to do this, I can play the same song over and over with the fluctuations happening. Then I play the same song in a different media player, and it plays just fine.

ONLY ITUNES DOES THIS!

VLC plays just fine, Windows Media Player plays just fine.

I've covered my basic troubleshooting steps:

-Audio driver is up to date

-Windows Sound settings have been checked

-Enhancements have been disabled (and tested both ways also)

-"Do Nothing" is selected in Communications for when Windows detects Mic activity

-My Mic is disabled (never use it anyway)

I've played with all the audio settings in iTunes as well. I have noticed this issue for the last several years at least with iTunes, so its happened on different version of iTunes and Windows, and was so intermittent for me that I never really looked into it, since most the time I'm playing music in either my car or my sound system, rarely from my laptop.

Google search finds topics of others with the same issue, but no real solution.

Can anyone provide a concrete answer? iTunes is really the best media player that I enjoy. I've been listening to music more and more from my laptop now and I would hate to have to use something else because of this issue...

Thank you to all who read and help me out 🙂

Windows 8

Posted on Apr 2, 2013 6:11 PM

7 replies

Apr 2, 2013 6:37 PM in response to JamesMills1877

Yes, I have tried that as well. Thank you for the reply.

Also, I should note that the last time this happened (a moment before writting the original post above) I was playing an .mp3 file. I have a mix of both .mp3 and .aac/.mp4 files and will pat attention next time I notice this happens. But I don't think its the file format considering its only iTues with the issue.

Apr 3, 2013 5:11 AM in response to JamesMills1877

I'd rather not have to convert all of my music to AAC, and with it being intermitent and with different songs at different times I'm not sure that's the issue.

I will be paying close attention though to what songs do it and what the format is (I have a mix of .mp3 and AAC files in my library). Hopefully its not a format issue where iTunes decies its going to play AAC content better than .mp3, which makes no sense what so ever that it would do that.

Thank you for the reply 🙂

Nov 27, 2013 4:33 PM in response to macpro88

Hi,

It is something to do with how Windows controls the volume. It is really annoying, but a way to fix when it happens is:

- In Windows, click on the speaker icon in taskbar (bottom right). (If you don't find, go to control panel)

- Click on Mixer

- Adjust Itunes volume.

It should look like this http://www.nextofwindows.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/image20.png

Cheers,

Volume Fluctuates Automatically [iTunes 11 / Win 8 x64]

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.