Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes won't recognize metadata in waveform files.

If a .WAV file has any metadata, iTunes won't see the artist, album; anything. I can add new data, but removing the files from library would end up it disappearing again. I know the data is there, since I can see it in Finder.

For some reason I have the exact same problem with XLD too.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8), It's kind of cool.

Posted on Apr 3, 2013 4:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2013 6:22 AM

That was my alias,

You are correct. iTunes cannot read the tags in WAV files.

This is simply a limitation of iTunes, since the tags can in fact be present, and many other players and programs (such as Winamp and Audacity, as well as Finder) can see them.

14 replies

Apr 3, 2013 6:55 AM in response to ed2345

ed2345 wrote:

That was my alias,

You are correct. iTunes cannot read the tags in WAV files.

This is simply a limitation of iTunes, since the tags can in fact be present, and many other players and programs (such as Winamp and Audacity, as well as Finder) can see them.

Alright, that answers the question somewhat. However, I do want to know why is Apple not doing anything about it.

Apr 3, 2013 7:14 AM in response to ed2345

ed2345 wrote:

As a fellow user, it is hard for me to say why Apple is not doing anything about it, although it sure appears to be a conscious design choice.

Note that iTunes has better support for AIFF format, which has the same audio coding as WAV, but allows complete metadata.

I know that very well, but, according to my very sensitive ears, XLD (which I use for CD ripping) does create some mild distortion when creating AIFF files, making WAV sound slighty better, and perfectly clear. Now, I cannot prove that, but my ears tell me so.

Of all the lossless uncompressed formats, WAV and AIFF are the industry's leaders, the former being default on the PC. The very fact Apple decided to partially drop support for one of those formats baffles me.

(just like the time they decided to make my laptop's battery non-user-replaceable)

Apr 3, 2013 9:11 AM in response to that was my alias

that was my alias wrote:
I know that very well, but, according to my very sensitive ears, XLD (which I use for CD ripping) does create some mild distortion when creating AIFF files, making WAV sound slighty better, and perfectly clear. Now, I cannot prove that, but my ears tell me so.

If it is creating distortion, then I would suggest not using it (even for WAV) since the actual audio data should be a simple copy of the audio. It should not be "converting" any of the audio when ripping to WAV or AIFF.

The very fact Apple decided to partially drop support for one of those formats baffles me.

They didn't drop support.

iTunes has never read "chunks" (the tags) in WAV files and they aren't something that every app uses.

Apr 3, 2013 7:08 PM in response to Chris CA

Chris CA wrote:

Is there a specific reason you need WAV?

Just use iTunes and RIP to AIFF or Apple Lossless.

I want a program that will be able to verify discs on being 100% readable, as well as give me the statistics on errors (or lack thereof) when it's finished.

Besides, the reason I switched to XLD in the first place was because iTunes kept giving me new inconsistently sounding results with each version.

Apr 4, 2013 9:54 AM in response to ed2345

ed2345 wrote:

Take a look at Max.

Well, since ripping to WAV and then converting to ALAC works perfectly with XLD, I will create a duplicate file with Max and compare. Then I'll post results.

EDIT: Apparently, the latest version was released two years ago, and that was the last time the site has been updated. Is there a recent application that can do what XLD can?

Apr 4, 2013 2:54 PM in response to that was my alias

Okay, found this one http://www.macworld.com/article/1158059/four_reasons_rip_cds_without_itunes.html

Carbon copying files off a CD with Finder is something I only did once, by accident. It looks like it does not convert the audio file, nor does it plays the audio; the file is copied bit by bit without correcting any errors. If the copy is 100% identical, the file will be playable without problems. I tried, and the result sounds wonderful. Dragging with Finder it is, then!

Thanks everyone who helped.

iTunes won't recognize metadata in waveform files.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.