14 Replies Latest reply: Sep 21, 2013 3:00 PM by TedDetjen Branched to a new discussion.
DonnaR Level 1 Level 1 (130 points)

After upgrading to 10.8 Mountain Lion, my Movies widget is just a black, empty rectangle. It doesn't even show "No data available" -- just nothing. (Same for all users of the Mac, and I've tried restarting, as well as removing the widget then putting it back.)

Are other people having this problem? Has anyone solved it or had it go away on its own? Are there any other Mac Movies widgets (Apple or third-party) that I could use? Any ideas?

Thank you.

iMac
  • Linc Davis Level 10 Level 10 (146,500 points)

It doesn't work in ML. I don't know of a replacement.

• DonnaR Level 1 Level 1 (130 points)

Thank you. I've seen your knowledgeable contributions to Apple Discussions before, so I trust your answer.

• Linc Davis Level 10 Level 10 (146,500 points)

To be clear, I'm not saying there is no replacement. I just don't know of one.

Neither did MacFixIt author Topher Kessler who, in a 10/31/11 article for CNET, wrote:

As for widget alternatives, Apple's Movies widget is the only one I have been able to find.

(Article: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20128102-263/movies-widget-in-os-x-not-work ing/)

Just thinking: Since the Movies widget doesn't work in Mountain Lion, why would Apple include it in their list of widgets that are preinstalled in Mountain Lion?

Article: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11233

• TedDetjen Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

If you install Mountain Lion 10.8.4, by doing a software update, you will see that the Movies widget is back!

I guess it was too good to be true.  Beginning yesterday evening, July 11, 2013, the Movies widget became intermittent.  I called AppleCare and spoke with a helpful AppleCare Senior Advisor, who experienced the same problem on two macs.  I am experiencing the problem on my Mid-2009 MacBook Pro and our brand new Mid-2013 MacBook Air, which by the way is a really great computer.  Both systems are on Mountain Lion 10.8.4.  The senior advisor and I found that we had to delete and re-add the Movies widget multiple times to bring it back.  It varies between the famous black rectangle and the correct display.  We think there is a problem with the source path to the Fandango server.  The problem may or may not return upon reboot and if you delete the working widget from your dashboard and try to add it back, it will take multiple deletes and re-adds to bring it back if you can at all.  The senior advisor was very helpful and opened a case (Movies Widget Issues, Case: 466619378) in my Apple account.

The last time the Movies widget was fixed, it took an AppleCare Senior Advisor to help the Apple Engineers understand the importance of the problem and to resolve it.

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

• SJ_UnderWater Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

another quick fix: the doc.ResultSet.Results is expected to be an array, single results aren't wrapped. Edit Movies.wdgt/parser.js from line 239:

var locationEls = doc.ResultSet.Results;
                   result = {error:false, cities:new Array()};

to

var locationEls = doc.ResultSet.Results;
                   if (!(locationEls instanceof Array))
                        locationEls=[locationEls];
                   result = {error:false, cities:new Array()};
  • S. G. Level 1 Level 1 (45 points)

Thanks for the fix - after implementing it, the widget has been working for a few days now, whereas it used to mostly be a black box before, with only intermittent moments when it would randomly work.

• E Stroh Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I did both the cnet fix from Kessler and the software update...widget seems to be currently working. The Kessler fix alone didn't seem to work, so perhaps it was just the software update? I am using 10.8.4 and the available update was lableled "security update."

And just fyi, I brought this new iMac home yesterday and the movie widget wasn't functioning out of the box.

I am still working with a senior advisor at Apple on this.  He experiences the problem on his Mac as well.  I find that if I do a safe boot, this sometimes clears the problem for a while, but I think it is a programming issue on Apple's part.  When the problem started reoccuring again after the last software update (which fixed it for a while), the problem began reoccuring again.

The Apple engineers examined a file collected from my MacBook Pro, and suggested reinstalling the operating system.  This worked for a while, but then the problem reoccured.  The Apple senior advisor tried it, too, with the same results.

He last wrote to me that he had no new information.  Hopefully, the engineers are working on a fix for the next update.  And maybe upgrading to Mavericks in the fall will fix it.

I don't think it is a good idea for us to reprogram the Movies widget.

I am able to get it working sometimes by doing a safe boot or running the free program, Onyx, which is available at http://www.titanium.free.fr.  This is a very effective and useful program from Titanium, which also produces my anti-virus program, Trend Micro Titanum Internet Security for Mac.

• SJ_UnderWater Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

every last word of this post was hokum and superstition. if a "fix" doesn't work every time, or doesn't address errors/warnings posted to the relevant logs, then it isn't a fix. While I agree that it shouldn't be incumbent on the user to edit a broken system file, updates (when they're posted) will overwrite that file, and it's ultimately up to the user to decide whether or not they want to make the edit. Without a critical and empirical approach, i.e. actually identifying what's going wrong (it's not hard, just check Console), who's to say what will fix the problem? Maybe we should defragment the hard drive, reinstall while chanting, or howl at the moon instead?

• E Stroh Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

interesting viewpoint sj, however...one might argue that this forum is an element of empirical research, depending of course, on your chosen research design model

regardless, my movie widget is still functioning, and that, afterall, was the outcome I sought

and i didn't need to resort to pagan-esque ritual, I am relieved. :-)

The Movies widget issue seems to have been repaired with the 10.8.5 update.