Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to back up computer from OS X Recovery

The computer i'm using is refusing to start up, so I turned it off and booted it into OS X Recovery (Hold Command+R on boot). I went to disk utilitiy and I verified Macintosh HD and after I get a incorrect amount of leafs which i'm not sure what it means but I believe is highly irelevant. It says it needs to be repaired. I try to repair it says it cannot be repaired and it tells me to backup as much files as possible. I not sure how to backup my files from OS X Recovery. Please tell me how to do this.

-- Note: I havent tried safe mode --

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Apr 3, 2013 7:04 AM

11 replies

Apr 3, 2013 12:24 PM in response to Lady Andrea

I do not know an easy way you can back up the drive if the computer does not boot.

You do not tell us the year / model of your Macbook, so I am assuming it is a model where you cannot remove the battery. Look at the bottom of the computer. If it is one solid piece, this has a non-removable battery, and these are the directions.

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
    Note
    : The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

Don NOT follow these instructions if the computer has a removable battery. In that case post back for the appropriate instructions.

Apr 4, 2013 6:37 AM in response to Lady Andrea

The first challenge is to get the MB to boot.

Try these instructions from Apple:

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the computer, if it's connected.
  3. Remove the battery.
  4. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
  5. Release the power button.
  6. Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.
  7. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

If that works, the next step is to back up everything.

Apr 4, 2013 7:02 AM in response to Eustace Mendis

It didnt work. Does it change anything if the battery is broken. The computer detects the battery but it says to replace. Im going to ignore that since I know I have to buy a new one. I am able to access Disk Utilities from OS X Recovery, can I do anything from there. I have a 500gb External hard drive and the computer can hold 320gb and the external hard drive is clear.

How to back up computer from OS X Recovery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.