Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Youtube videos start loading, then ask for Flash??

Hello community,

I try to get along, banning Flash from my browsing experience. So far I managed it decently, but YouTube still has a strange behaviour in Safari. While ClickTo Plugin is configured to use non-native plugins as a last resort, it seems to start loading the videos using QuickTime plugin, then fails, and asks for Flash.

Of course, reading the same videos on the iPhone poses no trouble.

How can I have Youtube behave the same way it does on iOS, without any kind of Flash?

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2.8 GHz i7, 16GB RAM

Posted on Apr 3, 2013 8:24 AM

12 replies

Apr 3, 2013 8:36 AM in response to cubytus

cubytus wrote:

How can I have Youtube behave the same way it does on iOS, without any kind of Flash?

You don't.

Because your computer is sending information about itself and the browser to the website and it's determining your machine is capable of having the better Flash expereince and thus makes you use it.

The iPhone sends it's information about it too, thus it can't run Flash at all and it gets the lower grade content.

You could fake your broswer to tell the sites your on a iPad, see if the enabling Safari Debug menu (search online for instructions) will fake the User Agent for a iPad and thus no Flash.

However if the site has only a Flash version then no video obviously.

Apr 4, 2013 6:55 AM in response to cubytus

clicktoflash works ok here & for many others - it's a limited version of clicktoplugin, of course, but you could try it out instead, easy to disable the current one. Also test in a new use account.

There's also http://www.youtube.com/html5 which should give the no-flash version, not necessarily lower grade. Think I'd disable clickto & try that out.

Apr 5, 2013 10:31 AM in response to andyBall_uk

ClickToFlash allows to manually load Flash. I want to dispense with it altogether.

I tried FlashoHTML5 plugin, which seems to work, but very slowly, requiring sometimes multiple reloads to get a video playing, with big ugly black bars on all sides, etc.

From what I see, I am already set up to "participate in HTML5 trial" on YouTube. This doesn't quite answer why it starts loading correctly then fails, asking for Flash.

Apr 9, 2013 9:47 AM in response to andyBall_uk

I am in the HTML5 trial indeed. I went to the Apple Store were a sales floor guy (sorry, no way to distinguish them since they ditched distinctly colored shirts) advised me to use an extension... That I haven't saved (nor even its name), silly me. It had a bug where large black bars appeared all around, wasting precious screen estate.

I removed it, re-enabled FlashToHTML5, but is still displaying the same issue as in the first post.

What this plugin would be named?

Apr 9, 2013 10:16 AM in response to cubytus

I'm using clicktoflash extension set to automatically load html5 & those youtube vids I've tested work as expected.

however - if I disable plugins via safari preferences - security, then sure enough, youtube detect no flash & asks for it.

With plugins enabled, Flash doesn't load, and clicktoflash works ok.

So if you've removed/disabled Flash, it seems that youtube will do that.

Apr 15, 2013 3:41 PM in response to andyBall_uk

I don't want to install Flash. As all Adobe products, one can never know what exactly would cause it to load, and it is very difficult to remove properly. I don't want to risk my Mac stability and security just for videos.

With the right plugin combination, I was able to actually play these videos, with a visual bug, but otherwise uneventfully.

Can you help on this combination?

Apr 15, 2013 4:26 PM in response to cubytus

I did try some, couldn't get past the 'you need flash' part w/o either being in the html5 'trial' or having at least a 'dummy' * flash plugin ; I can't help w/o more clues as to what that combination could have been, and even then YT may well have altered their code while trying to get more ad views.

Flash doesn't load unexpectedly here, clickto stops all unless disabled, or I deliberately click on the placeholder.

Flash installs a prefpane, 'Flash Player Install Manager' folder; some cache/preference files are created later, two files in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/, and /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.adobe.fpsaud.plist (the updater)

fairly easy to effectively remove, see http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-mac-os.html#main_1 0_4 which leaves some preference/cache files, but nothing active.

* removing the plugins folder from inside the plugin: pluginprocess crashes if Flash runs, but it's certain that it can't.

Youtube videos start loading, then ask for Flash??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.