Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help I've lost access to an account after changing its advanced settings

The issue occured after I foolishly ignored the red WARNING label within the Advanced Options box for Accounts located via System Preferences.

I had changed the short name and the Home Directory to a new title. After doing so I've lost all capabilities of unlocking my settings, and after restarting, my account.

As of now, I've created a new administrative account but have several problems with simply deleting the account

-Terminal is located on the desktop and for some reason not in my Utilities folder on my new account

-I would lose Itunes, among other programs/files that I value

The account in question is Filevaulted -_- and when I try to reset the password from my new account I get an error code "CSSM_ERRCODE_MEMORY_ERROR"

I'd greatly appreciate any help!!!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Apr 3, 2013 11:18 AM

2 replies

Aug 13, 2015 5:57 PM in response to b0hr1um

I had a similar issue. I was in the system preferences under users in groups and I tried to change the name of my account. I right clicked on my account, (is the admin and only account on the computer) and I then opened advanced options to change the name on the account. I changed the home directory name and its asked me to enter my password and that its would need to restart. I clicked "ok". When the computer restarted it appeared to have erased all my files and documents. While I was quite shocked and dismayed, so I made a call to apple support, who was helpful but said without a back up to restore all may be lost.

So as a last ditch effort, I followed the same steps and went back to the system preferences and under user and groups I selected the advanced options again and just changed the name back to what it was originally. This seemed to do the trick and all my files were restored. At least so far so good. So I would try that before using other expensive recover programs, or giving up. Good luck!

Help I've lost access to an account after changing its advanced settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.