Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is Other (5.96gb) on my Iphone storage and how can I get rid of it?

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Apr 3, 2013 11:37 AM

6 replies

Apr 3, 2013 12:18 PM in response to LillynWilson

LillynWilson wrote:

"Other" data is real data that you put on your phone by using the built in apps. It is not music, not videos, not pictures and not App Store app data. It is "OTHER" meaning everything that does not fall into these categories. Such as:

• email messages and attachments
  • Reminders
  • Calendar entries
  • Contacts
  • Text messages
  • MMS messages and attachments
  • Genius data
  • Music cover art
  • Operating system settings
  • Safari cache
  • bookmarks
  • Game Center status
  • Music catalog

Probably a few I've missed. There was a problem in an earlier version where deleted MMS messages left behind their attachments, but that has been fixed as of 6.1. The reason that deleting music recovers some Other space is because it delete cover art. But is also screws up your music, which will no longer play correctly.

You will find posts from people who said they recovered over 1 GB of space by just deleting old text messages.

If you want Other to be smaller you will have to keep less data on your phone; delete old MMS and texts, delete old email (especially from the "deleted" folder), clear the cache, eliminate cover art.

Your Other is so large, however, that there may be corrupt data contained in it (unless you send a lot of MMS messages with large attachments). If this is the case you should restore the phone as New.

Dec 30, 2013 11:17 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

I did all that you have suggested and I still have 7 gigs of "other" left. I paid for a 16 gig phone, yet it's like I am having to use a 6 gig one. I am switching to android for this reason unless I can get a solid answer of how to earase all of this "other" because it is rediculous. Sorry if I sound harsh, I am just a little annoyed about a simple issue that for whatever reason corrupts so many Apple Devices.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.