Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imac 27 graphics card damage / vertical lines

About 2 weeks ago, my iMac 27 "(mid 2011) stayed with vertical lines on the screen as seen in the pictures below.
Someone can help understand why the error is and what would be the solution.

The video card is an ATI Radeon 6970

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

This pink screen is for yesterday attemp to get my imac back to work, but failure.

User uploaded file

Regards

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 3, 2013 1:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2013 1:40 PM

It's the graphic card. The only thing you can do is to take your computer to an Apple Store or reseller to get your Mac repaired. Fortunately, 21'5 and 27-inch iMacs have got a replaceable graphic card, so the repair will be cheap

15 replies

Apr 3, 2013 1:50 PM in response to Jorge Quan

First, if your Mac is in warranty, check if there's an Apple Authorized Reseller in Honduras. If you replace it yourself, you will void its warranty.

Apart from that, note that the graphic card may be different for Macs. You can search this graphic card online and buy it, but it may not work. Also, there are no how-to's to replace your graphic card, so do it at your own risk.

Graphic cards fail because of the temperature, and it's a problem with the iMac. Sometimes, a iMac can get too hot, and this heat affects to the graphic card. With a higher temperature, it's possible that your graphic card fails, but there are different reasons

Aug 19, 2013 7:50 AM in response to Jorge Quan

hello all
Apple apparently has a solution to the problem, at least for those living in USA.
Anyone know of a way to benefit me replacement program, I live in Honduras and my iMac is within specifications.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5167?viewlocale=en_US

iMac (27-inch): AMD Radeon 6970M Video Card Replacement Program

Symptoms

Apple has determined that some AMD Radeon HD 6970M video cards used in 27-inch iMac computers with 3.1GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 or 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processors may fail, causing the computer’s display to appear distorted, white or blue with vertical lines, or to turn black. iMac computers with affected video cards were sold between May 2011 and October 2012.

Resolution

If your iMac has an AMD Radeon HD 6970M video card and is exhibiting any of the issues described above, choose one of the following options to arrange to have your iMac evaluated:

• Apple Retail Store: Set up a Genius Bar appointment.
  • Apple Authorized Service Provider: Find one here.
  • Apple Technical Support: Contact us for local service options.

Before you go in for service, please back up your data. Learn more about backup options.

If the iMac (27-inch) meets these requirements, Apple will replace the video card free of charge for three years after the first retail sale of the computer.

Additional Information

If you believe you have paid for a repair or replacement due to this issue, contact Apple regarding a refund.

This worldwide Apple program does not extend the standard warranty coverage of the iMac.

Apple will continue to evaluate service data and will provide further updates to this program as needed.

Last Modified: Aug 17, 2013

imac 27 graphics card damage / vertical lines

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.