Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Cannot Open Key

Running on PC 64bit Windows 8. iTunes WAS working until Office 365 install. Thought iTunes was causing issue - in fact it wasn't. Now trying to reinstall.

Have scoured the support fixes and have done the following with the same result:

1. Uninstalled iTunes from Control Panel
  2. Removed all folders and files left in Program Files and Program Files(x86)
  3. Rebooted
  4. Removed the TEMP folder under my username (only 2 files left that I could not figure out how to delete)
  5. downloaded most recent version of iTunes 11.0.2xx
  6. in the Download folder I have right clicked and run as administrator.
  7. Also did all this all over again and right clicked permissions, changed to compatibility with Windows 7 (this machine is Windows 8 - 64 bit)
  8. Updated permissions in regedit to be all permissions
  9. When run, the process gets to a certain point then I get the error message:

Could not open key: UNKNOW\Components\DA42B...Verify that you have sufficent access to that key or contact...

10. Then it rolls back the install and continues and I get this error message:

1. Could not open key: UNKNOW\Components\7ABFE...Verify that you have sufficent access to that key or contact...

11. When it finishes, it tells me that it can't start services.

12. I go to control panel and try to start services manually. I get this error message

1. Windows could not start the Apple Mobile device service on local computer Error 2: The system cannot find the file (because it wasn't installed...)

Any help would be greatly appreciated - I'm getting pretty good at uninstalling and deleting

iPhone 4, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Apr 3, 2013 3:06 PM

2 replies

iTunes Cannot Open Key

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.