Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 2012 13" heat problems

I have recently gotten a Macbook last December, and in the recent months I've noticed that even while surfing the web, the bottom seems to get REALLY hot. I have tried to close all other applications other than the one I am using, and still it seems to get hot. During the occasional game, the Macbook warps the plastic mat underneath the computer.

I used the widget iStat pro to measure the heat of some core components and these are the temps:

These are the temps for when the Computer is Idle/No Programs Running

HD Macintosh Hardrive: 86 Degrees

Ambient: 101 Degrees

Enclosure Base: 90 Degrees

Enclosure Base 2: 90 Degrees

Enclosure Base 3: 92 Degrees

Heatsink B: 121 Degrees

Mem Bank A1: 97 Degrees

Mem Module A1: 121 Degrees

These are the temps for when the Computer is running 1 game called Minecraft (popular game, shouldnt cause to much heat problems)

HD Macintosh Hardrive: 86 Degrees

Ambient: 124 Degrees

Enclosure Base: 101 Degrees

Enclosure Base 2:101 Degrees

Enclosure Base 3: 97 Degrees

Heatsink B: 133 Degrees

Mem Bank A1: 122 Degrees

Mem Module A1: 148 Degrees

When I hook up a external fan behind it and elevate the computer, it seems to be a lot cooler but I have not used iStat Pro to measure any differences between idle and running a game. Any suggestions or comments will help. Also, if you think I should take it in to an Apple store to be repaired/exchanged, please tell me.

Also. I have a Speck hard-shell case surronding the Macbook 24/7

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Apr 3, 2013 3:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2013 3:14 PM

FYI, Minecraft is EXTREMELY CPU intensive. It is not uncommon for that game to overheat computers, but you don't have a major problem unless your system gets closer to 180 Degrees. I would check and see if you get hot doing anything else... if not and it's just minecraft, ignore it...

User uploaded file

4 replies

Apr 3, 2013 3:40 PM in response to AppleUser9000

I assume that the temperatures you are reporting are in Fahrenheit. If so, then you are not experiencing any excessive temperatures. You have omitted the CPU temperature and the fan speeds. It would be much simpler just to post an image of the iStat pro readout such as this:

User uploaded file

You mentioned that you have a Speck case. The aluminum body of the MBP is designed to be part of the heat dissipation process and the case is an inhibitor in that regard. Though popular with many users, I do not favor them for that reason.

Ciao.

Apr 4, 2013 2:27 AM in response to AppleUser9000

The use of cooling pads is a good idea. I have never used a fan control but so long as one cannot set them below the speed that is programmed by the Apple engineers, they can do no harm and perhaps assist the cooling process. Heat is the enemy of electronic devices and any effort to keep the temperatures down will be rewarded with a longer life span for a given device.

Ciao.

Macbook Pro 2012 13" heat problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.