Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPhone hacked through email?

After checking my msn email on my iphone this morning I began receiving undeliverable messages in my inbox that showed I had forwarded messages with giberish, different languages and links to people in my contact list. Received several emails from people who said they had recieved an email of that ilk from me. I sent nothing. then one of my contacts received 4 phone calls showing my iphone number and each time there was no one on the line or they did not answer. Verizon could not help me other than to say change passwords. MSN was llittle help either but at least I changed the password.

A full scan by McAfee on my laptop showed 0 threats and no problems. I then ran Stopzilla and it showed 2 trojans - Trojan.win32.genericIBT showing two with the same name - both were quarantined and removed. McAfee said little except that the two programs did not work well together and could not explain why their antivirus prrogoram did not pick up the threat and said run mcafee again to makke sure computer was safe - well it didnt pick up the original so of course it came back 0 threats on the repeatt run. . I changed my password on my phone and email and synced so the new passwords are now required on the iphone. Is there anything else I need to do? Has anyone ever had anything like this happen???

Any input would be appreciated.

K

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Apr 3, 2013 5:47 PM

3 replies

Mar 28, 2015 5:55 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

I don't necessarily agree. I recently had the same thing happen to my email and I logged in to Gmail on the web and deleted all of my contacts. A second email was sent after that still using my contact list, which was no longer on the server. Also my friend purchased an iPhone last week and just today the same thing has happened to her in that short a period of time. Its too much of a coincidence. The mail headers say User Agent: iPhone Mail (11D257)

Something weird is going on with the iphone. I have a 5s and she just purchased a 6.

Mar 28, 2015 8:45 AM in response to Brenkworth

This is not related to your phone. The account was hacked on the server. It doesn't matter whether you deleted your contacts or not... you've got plenty of e-mail sitting in your All Mail mailbox... containing all the addresses of your contacts, most likely. Spammers can easily harvest those. It also doesn't matter what the mail headers say. Those could be (and often are) easily forged, or the spammer could be using an iPhone to send the messages.

Change the password on your GMail account, and make sure nobody has left themselves a back door through GMail's account delegation feature.

IPhone hacked through email?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.