Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

very slow...

iPhoto has become very slow and seems to never want to quit. Should i trash the app and start anew... would that effect the library... 37,000 pics. or...?

All apps and system software are up to date.... (4-3-13).

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 27", i7, 8 GB Ram..

Posted on Apr 3, 2013 9:06 PM

1 reply

Apr 3, 2013 11:10 PM in response to Pete Kroner

Pete,

All apps and system software are up to date.... (4-3-13).

Are you using iPhoto '11 or an earlier version? Your profile signature says Mac OS X (10.6.7)?

When did this problem start? After importing new photos? After an iPhoto crash?

If it happened after importing new images, you may have imported a bad image file or video. Then I'd suggest to remove your last import from your iPhoto library.

If the problem followed a crash, probably your iPhoto Library needs repairing, or you are running out of disk space.

How much free disk space do you have?

• If it is less than 10 GB free space, I'd suggest to make space on your start up drive by deleting unnecessary files as soon as possible
  • To repair or rebuild your iPhoto Library, see: iPhoto 6 and later: Rebuilding the iPhoto library
  • If the built-in ⌥⌘ Library First Aid Tools don't help, try to rebuild the Library with iPhoto Library Manager, see Old Toad's Post here (Fix 2):

Re: iphoto crashed

Added: To answer your original question: Deleting the iPhoto application and reinstalling will not delete your imported photos. It is perfectly save, but still, it is necessary to make a backup, before you install/ reinstall any software.

iPhoto keeps the imported image files in your iPhoto library - that is stored in your "Pictures" folder by default. See Terence devlin's User Tip: How to Access Files in iPhoto

Regards

Léonie

very slow...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.