Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Configuration Utility showing question mark as device picture

My iPhone Configuration Utility doesn't work properly and I don't know how to solve it. As you can see in the picture, the Configuration Utility shows a question mark insted of the device picture of my iPhone 5 (iOS Version 6.1.3).

I can't find out what the reason is, but I guess it is the cause why I can't install my Configuration Profile (Message: "Profile Installation Failed", "The profile could not be added to the device."). I tried enabling encryption of backups of my device, but the configuration profile still fails to install.

User uploaded file

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.3, Profile Installation Failed

Posted on Apr 4, 2013 10:24 AM

2 replies

May 14, 2013 4:04 AM in response to Dromedian

Thank you for your concern.

Unfortunately, I tried various fixes, like changing the USB cable, choosing another USB port, trying it on the Boot Camp partition, trying it on other Machines and PCs, I even restored my iOS, but nothing got the Configuration Utility to like my iPhone...

What I did then was mailing the certificates to myself and by simply opening the attachements within the Mail App on the iPhone it allowed me to install it from there.

Long story short: it turned out I could do it without the Configuration Utility and that the iPhone is capable of configuring/installing the profiles directly when you send it over.

iPhone Configuration Utility showing question mark as device picture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.