4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 30, 2015 8:14 AM by Old Toad
imnew2imac Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have downloaded some family vacation photos to iphoto.  iphoto separated them into four events with a total of 161 pictures.  I tried to "burn" one event at a time to a non rewrite CD.  After the first "burn" the program said that this CD was not rewritable and would not permit the second "burn".  I then used a rewritable CD and maxed it out with these 161 regular photos.  When I opened the files in the CD there were other files beside the images (a total of 512).  I was a long time Windows user and have a feeling that I am either over simplifying the process or missing a step.  Where can I find instructions?  Thanks

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)
  • Terence Devlin Level 10 Level 10 (135,020 points)

Burn for what purpose? To share with others?

Export the photos to a folder on the Desktop. Burn that with the Finder. Result: a folder of images that any computer can read.

Using iPhoto's Burn command creates an iPhoto Library on the disk and is suitable only for others also using the same version of iPhoto.

This User Tip

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-4921

has details of the options in the Export dialogue.

Note that rewriteable disks do not necessarily mean that you can append files to them, and require special burning software to do so.

Regards

TD

• Old Toad Level 10 Level 10 (130,305 points)

Export the photos out of iPhoto to a folder on the Desktop.  Then insert the CD into the optical drive and drag the folder onto the disk's icon on the Desktop.  Drag the disk to the Trash bin to begin the burn process.

During the export process if you select Kind = Original you'll get the original file that was imported into iPhoto.  If you select Kind = JPEF you'll either get the same original file or, if you've edited the photo, the edited version.

OT

• Good pet Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

It sounds like you can help me. I am ready to throw my mac out the window. I need to burn a slide show (about 200 photos with music) and a second project of orginial photos (1,000) How in the heck can I do it so that they can be viewed on any dvd play or non apple product?

Sure hope you can help

Thanks

• Old Toad Level 10 Level 10 (130,305 points)

Export the slideshow out of iPhoto as a QT movie file via the Export button in the lower toolbar.  For iPhoto 9.4.3 and earlier select Size = Medium.  For iPhoto 9.5 and later and Photos select 480p.

Open iDVD, select a theme and drag the exported QT movie file into the open iDVD window being careful to avoid any drop zones.

Follow this workflow to help assure the best quality video DVD:

Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image  menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.

To check the encoding mount the disk image, launch DVD Player and play it.  If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding is good.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility or Toast at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality.  Always use top quality media:  Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

If iDVD was not preinstalled on your Mac you'll have to obtain it by purchasing a copy of the iLife 09 disk from a 3rd party retailer like Amazon.com: ilife 09: Software or eBay.com.  Why, because iDVD (and iWeb) was discontinued by Apple over a year ago.

Why iLife 09 instead of 11?

If you have to purchase an iLife disc in order to obtain the iDVD application remember that the iLife 11 disc only provides  themes from iDVD 5-7.  The Software Update no longer installs the earlier themes when starting from the iLIfe 11 disk nor do any of the iDVD 7 updaters available from the Apple Downloads website contain them.

Currently the only sure fire way to get all themes is to start with the iLife 09 disc:

Installer001.jpg

This shows the iDVD contents in the iLife 09 disc via Pacifist:

Pacifist001.jpg

You then can upgrade from iDVD 7.0.3 to iDVD 7.1.2 via the updaters at the Apple Downloads webpage.

Note:  Slideshows with more than 99 individual slides can cause the finished slideshow in iDVD to pause/stutter at the 99 to 100 slide transition.  Burning at the slowest speed possible and using the top quality media can minimize the pause. 

If the slides are put into an iPhoto/Photos slideshow and exported as a QT movie files the 99 slide limitation is bypassed.