8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 16, 2013 11:23 PM by Free2bee
Kriskap Level 1 (0 points)

My capital i does not work if i hit SHFT + i. in fact the key won't work at all if i hold SHFT + i. If I hit caps lock, then the cap i works: IIIIII

All other caps seem ok.

The i shows up in the virtual keyboard also.

Is this a defect or is there something i can do?

Thanks

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5)
  • Niel Level 10 (298,730 points)

Open the Speech pane of System Preferences and check whether either the listening key or the speech key has become set to that keystroke; if so, change the setting.

(80155)

• Kriskap Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks Niel, but that did not work.

• Michael Morgan1 Level 7 (23,830 points)

Don't know if related or not but, in my case:

• Last night, 'a' key simply stopped working. Everything else did, just not that.
    • Extensive troubleshooting failed to fix, fiddling with the keypad didn't fix, shaking the Apple Wireless Keyboard was satisfying but also didn't fix.
    • Finally decided to 'reboot' the keyboard itself, shutting down for a short period and then restarting....
    • ...and voilá, the a was back in my game!

Thought it was just a transient, but just a short while ago the LED on the CAPS LOCK stopped working. The key itself worked, the rest of the keyboard worked, just no green light. So, of course, I decided to just go ahead and do the 'reboot' thing again, and sure enough ..... the little green light has gone back to work.

Mind you, I have no idea of what caused the problem, or why what I did actually resulted in fixing it, but I'm content for now with just being able to fix this. Give it a try, anyway, and good luck.

• Barry Hemphill Level 8 (37,327 points)

Hello:

Try resetting the PRAM.

Barry

I tried this Michael, but it didn't work. Hope yours smartens up!

Thank you, Barry! Resetting the PRAM worked!! It also was like a tune-up for the machine - everything seems to work a little better.   THANKS AGAIN!!

Chris

• Barry Hemphill Level 8 (37,327 points)

You are most welcome!

Glad I could help. 

Barry

• Free2bee Level 1 (0 points)

Hi, I had the same problem with Shift W and the answer for the new operating systems such as Mountain Lion and above is to check you have not given the SHIFT W (change with your key that doesn't work) to a program as a shortcut. I read this here in the forums somewhere and remembered I had given my desktop wall paper program a SHIFT W to change wall papers. I deleted that it that program's preferences which released that 'key combination' back to the Mac OS.