Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My shift + i does not work, but CAPS LOCK I does work. All other cap letters ok. ??

My capital i does not work if i hit SHFT + i. in fact the key won't work at all if i hold SHFT + i. If I hit caps lock, then the cap i works: IIIIII

All other caps seem ok.

The i shows up in the virtual keyboard also.

Is this a defect or is there something i can do?

Thanks

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Apr 4, 2013 12:32 PM

8 replies

Apr 7, 2013 3:34 PM in response to Kriskap

Don't know if related or not but, in my case:

• Last night, 'a' key simply stopped working. Everything else did, just not that.
  • Extensive troubleshooting failed to fix, fiddling with the keypad didn't fix, shaking the Apple Wireless Keyboard was satisfying but also didn't fix.
  • Finally decided to 'reboot' the keyboard itself, shutting down for a short period and then restarting....
  • ...and voilá, the a was back in my game!

Thought it was just a transient, but just a short while ago the LED on the CAPS LOCK stopped working. The key itself worked, the rest of the keyboard worked, just no green light. So, of course, I decided to just go ahead and do the 'reboot' thing again, and sure enough ..... the little green light has gone back to work.

Mind you, I have no idea of what caused the problem, or why what I did actually resulted in fixing it, but I'm content for now with just being able to fix this. Give it a try, anyway, and good luck.

Oct 16, 2013 11:23 PM in response to Kriskap

Hi, I had the same problem with Shift W and the answer for the new operating systems such as Mountain Lion and above is to check you have not given the SHIFT W (change with your key that doesn't work) to a program as a shortcut. I read this here in the forums somewhere and remembered I had given my desktop wall paper program a SHIFT W to change wall papers. I deleted that it that program's preferences which released that 'key combination' back to the Mac OS.🙂

My shift + i does not work, but CAPS LOCK I does work. All other cap letters ok. ??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.