Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How many GBs left in flash drive

I asked this question on the SanDisk flashdrive forum, but they advised me to ask it here. Don't know why. It concerns transferring songs from my ITunes to a SanDisk flashdrive. Here is my question:

I have a SanDisk Cruzer Glide 64 GB flashdrive.

I have an IMac computer, OSX Mountain Lion, and ITunes.

I dragged all my ITunes song files (several thousand) to the flashdrive in order to have them backed up. I have 2 questions:

1) How do I know how many GBs have been used up on my flash drive, or how many GBs are left?

2) I know many of my ITunes song files were duplicates, even a few triplicates. Is there a way to remove the duplicate song files from my flashdrive, in order to save space? (There is no need to have the same song file in my flashdrive 2 or 3 times.).

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), iPhoto 8.1.2 (424)

Posted on Apr 4, 2013 1:03 PM

7 replies

Apr 4, 2013 1:45 PM in response to Imp68

1) I have ITunes 11.

I highlighted all the songs on my flashdrive, then pressed COMMAND- I. A dialogue box came up showing "32.53 GBs on disk.". I assume that is the space used up on my flashdrive, which is about half. Thanks for the info.

2) the second part about showing duplicates in my flashdrive is more difficult. When in View, I usually don't get a menu item that says show duplicates. Even if I click on the option button. I did get it but only once or twice. It also listed "show specific duplicates", I clicked on it, and nothing happened. I assume I am supposed to click on the View menu in ITunes, not the view menu in Finder.

Another question - if I click on the View button in ITunes and it shows me the duplicates, that is probably the duplicates in ITunes. But I am really only interested in the duplicates in my flashdrive. I want to get rid of the duplciates in the flashdrive because of its limited space.

I'll keep experimenting and maybe I'll find the "Show Duplicate Items"

Apr 4, 2013 1:47 PM in response to Henry R

1) I highlighted all the songs on my flashdrive, then pressed COMMAND- I. A dialogue box came up showing "32.53 GBs on disk.". I assume that is the space used up on my flashdrive, which is about half. Thanks for the info.

Please re-read. This was not my instruction. I did not recommend selecting all the songs and pressing COMMAND-I

Apr 4, 2013 2:19 PM in response to Kappy

I have ITunes 11.

OK, this time I clicked on the icon of the flashdrive on the desktop. Then COMMAND-I. I got a info dialogue box showing that 32.71 GBs had been used up, not 32.53. But those 2 figures are pretty close. Thanks for the info.

As far as finding the duplicate song files in the flash drive in order to get rid of them:

I finally was able to see the menu item "find duplicates" on the menu in ITunes "View". But it only showed me duplicates song files in ITunes, not duplicate song files in my flashdrive. I am trying to get rid of duplicates in my flashdrive in order to save space, so I need to know which songs files in my flashddrive are duplicates.

Apr 4, 2013 3:09 PM in response to Henry R

Henry R wrote:

As far as finding the duplicate song files in the flash drive in order to get rid of them:

I finally was able to see the menu item "find duplicates" on the menu in ITunes "View". But it only showed me duplicates song files in ITunes, not duplicate song files in my flashdrive. I am trying to get rid of duplicates in my flashdrive in order to save space, so I need to know which songs files in my flashddrive are duplicates.

There aren't any duplicates (filenames).

You cannot save the same filename twice.

Apr 4, 2013 3:55 PM in response to Chris CA

Actually I was goiing through some of the song files in my flash drive before I saw your last response. I had found a number of duplicates. The same song twice in the flashdrive. I deleted a number of these duplicates from my flashdrive. But hard to do it manually, one by one, because I have thousands of songs. Nice if there were a quicker way to find the duplicates.

Re the duplicates: Some of them had the same title, same artist, same length of time for the song. So I assume they were duplicates. Some others may have been slightly different versions of the same song by the same artist, just maybe a few seconds longer or shorter. So maybe they were not exactly the same and are not technically duplicates, but still nice if I could get rid of these extra ones in the flashdrive. But some of the songs in the flashdrive appeared to be exact duplicates.

How many GBs left in flash drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.