Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can my iPad play movies I shoot on my camera?

Hi, just got my iPad a week ago. Took some photos and some movie clips at a family party on my digital camera. The photos load up fine but the movie clips are just grey squares. I have the iMovie app and the iPhoto app. on the iPad.

Wilf

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), iMac 11,1 Intel Core i5. 2.66GHz

Posted on Apr 4, 2013 2:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2013 5:53 PM

If the videos load into iTunes you can select them then use the File/Create New Version/Create iPad Version menu. If they will not load into iTunes you will need a 3rd party app to convert them on the computer first. VideoMonkey is a great Mac app with iOS device presets for quick conversions. Always keep a copy, preferably 2 or more, of your original in a safe place.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2013 5:53 PM in response to wilfredfromcastleford

If the videos load into iTunes you can select them then use the File/Create New Version/Create iPad Version menu. If they will not load into iTunes you will need a 3rd party app to convert them on the computer first. VideoMonkey is a great Mac app with iOS device presets for quick conversions. Always keep a copy, preferably 2 or more, of your original in a safe place.

Apr 4, 2013 6:52 PM in response to wilfredfromcastleford

What format are the movies?

Pad2, the new iPad Supported Video Formats & Movie Formats

• H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats;
  • MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats;
  • Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

Are you using the camera connection kit to load directly from your camera?

 Cheers, Tom 😉

Apr 5, 2013 12:35 AM in response to Texas Mac Man

Hi Tom, thnaks for your reply, I'm sorry but I really dont understand all the stuff about movie formats. I have previously just loaded bits of movie clip into my Mac with no problems. The file name is in the format MOVxxxxx. I am loading direct from the camera, a Sony, via the camera connection kit. (Fancy name for a tiny plug). And that's another niggle, the card reader doesn't read my card because it's not of the right type. No indication on the package that it is not universal. However I digress.

Stephen, not sure if they will load into iTunes 'cos I don't know how to do that. Usually I just connect my camera or card to the Mac and iPhoto takes care of all the rest. But thanks for your input too. Guess I'll have to learn about formats and buy a converter - or not. My movies are not going to cause Spielberg any sleepless nights.

Wilf.

Apr 5, 2013 3:57 PM in response to wilfredfromcastleford

iPhoto is a good place to store and organize your photos and video although it is more suited for photos than video. There are a few ways to get the video out of iPhoto but it still may be good to keep your original there till you get your feet wet. You can get a copy of your video out of iPhoto by simply drag and drop the video onto the decktop. You'll see a ➕ sign appear by your cursor which signifies you are creating a copy and leaving an original in iPhoto. You can either drag this copy now on your desktop into iPhoto, but I would recommend first getting a copy of VideoMonkey to convert this copy into an iPad comatible video then drag it into iTunes. http://videomonkey.org/

You may also want to use iMovie on your iMac to merge some clips and add effects. iMovie can also export your final video to an iPad compatible movie. But since you have iMovie for your iPad the above method may be better for you.

Can my iPad play movies I shoot on my camera?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.