Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted Photos Still on Computer?

I've been using iPhoto for several years now.

I recently imported my latest batch of photos from my camera into a new event. I made some edits to a few pictures and deleted some others. I do this often. When you press the delete button in iPhoto it no longer shows up in the event and is in the iPhoto trash. I empty the iPhoto trash and have emptied OSX trash. However, I discovered that the files I thought I had been deleting are still in an iPhoto folder. Do I have years of deleted pictures on my hard drive? If so, no wonder I keep having to get bigger hard drives.

For example, I have one picture called IMG_1050.jpg. If I search in spotlight it shows up as a picture in the iPhoto folder. When I found the folder containing IMG_1050.jpg, I realized that all the pictures I had just deleted are still there.

If I open iPhoto and click on photos on the left side where you can see all your photos at one time, and do a search for 1050, you can't find a photo with that number. Help!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2008), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Apr 5, 2013 12:27 AM

13 replies

Apr 5, 2013 12:29 AM in response to mnbinth

I should also add, that the only picture files I want are the pictures you can see in the iPhoto app. If I've edited a picture, I want to keep the edit. I could care less about the original if there is still a copy of that. Is there any software that deletes all pictures in the iPhoto folder that aren't already seen in the iPhoto app.

Apr 5, 2013 12:41 AM in response to mnbinth

Failure to delete the photos from the HD is usually a symptom of a damaged database.

Not wanting to keep the original is a failure to use the correct application 😉. iPhoto is a designed to specifically maintain the original image. If you don't want that feature then the logical and sensible thing is to use an app that is designed to work the way you want, and not one designed to work in exactly the way you don't want.

There is an app out there called Clean My Mac 2 which claims to remove the original and replace it in the iPhoto database with the iPhoto Preview. This app costs about $40. Wouldn't it be just cheaper to use another app?

Apr 5, 2013 12:49 AM in response to mnbinth

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Repair Database. If that doesn't help, then try again, this time using Rebuild Database.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. (In Library Manager it's the FIle -> Rebuild command)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Decide what features you want - and editor with a nice display? and search.

Regards

TD

Jul 27, 2013 12:17 PM in response to mnbinth

I had the same annoying problem, I didn't want my deleted photos to SILL be taking up space on my hard drive.

However I believe this is the solution we were looking for:

1. Launch iPhoto

2. Click on "Trash", on the left side menu - here are all your deleted items!

3. Click on "Empty Trash" on the top right corner: this WILL actually remove the files from your hard drive...

Yay!

Deleted Photos Still on Computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.