Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Technical Support Expired on new Macbook Air?

I bought a macbook air 11'' from an authorized apple reseller in Korea less than a week ago. When I type in my serial number with apple it states that my technical support is expired. Also according to my mac it says its 9 months old, but I just purchased it less than a week ago. Is it possible that the store sold me an old machine? In addition to this the battery life is extremely poor (less than two hours) with minimal use (just reading articles online with dim screen setting). I tried returning it to the authorized reseller however they wouldn't take it back. They had me bring it to a service center and they checked the battery and said everything was fine, but I was watching the battery drain right in front of us.

Is it possible to return through Apple or exchange for a new machine? If not is there a way to check the status on my 1 year warranty?

Thanks.

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 11''

Posted on Apr 4, 2013 11:40 PM

3 replies

Jul 18, 2013 11:52 AM in response to kyleddick

Bump... I also am seeing "Technical Support: Expired" on a new (made in June 2013) never-used macbook-air.

Today, on July 18, 2013 powered up new macbook-air for first time. I always run diagnostics on any new mac (hold down D, or in this case option-D), and at the end it shows serial number, boots recovery-mode, and takes me to https://expresslane.apple.com where it also says (with yellow ⚠) "Technical Support: Expired".

When I paste the serial number into this wonderful Dutch site http://www.chipmunk.nl/ it tells me this macbook-air came out of the factory in June 2013 (below), and all the info below looks correct. And it sure seems nobody ever used it before me! So I would assume that the apple website is wrong about expired support... I'll tell apple and update this thread if/when they resolve it.

Machine Model: MacBookAir6,2

Family name: A1468

Group1: MacBook

Group2: Air

Generation:

CPU speed: 1.3GHz

Screen size: 13 inch

Colour: Please tell us what colour this MacBook is.

Production year: 2013

Production week: 24 (June)

Model introduced: 2013

Memory - flavour: xx

Factory: C0 (Quanta Computer (Susidiary = Tech Com))

Technical Support Expired on new Macbook Air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.