Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is my 1TB external IOMEGA drive failing?

Note: The reason why this is Snow Leopard is because my iMac HD is getting replaced. My new iMac will use snow leopard.

OK, so I went to disk utility, selected my IOMEGA external hard drive, and verified it.

At the end, Disk Utility reported "Volume header needs minor repair" in red. Disk Utility told me to click Repair disk. And when I did...

Disk Utility verified the disk. When it discovered the "Volume header needs minor repair" error, it tried to repair the disk, and here is the result:

User uploaded file

Tried to repair disk again, didn't work. So I went to Mac Help and found this article:

User uploaded file

The article also uses the Disc Recording icon, that also appears in Disk Utility's toolbar itself. I think this is to mean "very critical" on Mac OS X.

User uploaded file

I've already heard of S.M.A.R.T. When I click on the disk (not the partition) in the Disk Utility sidebar. it says "S.M.A.R.T Status: Not Supported". So is this a hardware problem or a filesystem problem? What is wrong with the drive?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Apr 5, 2013 1:06 AM

12 replies

Apr 5, 2013 8:10 AM in response to Brandon Sky

Working backwards, "S.M.A.R.T Status: Not Supported" is due to the type of connection you used, not the drive itself. I suspect the Burn icon was used since a disk image is one way of backing up. Looking at the screen shot of Disk Utility and the warning message, have you tried selecting the media line (1TB ST310005 etc.) that's above Brandon's External and trying Repair Disk? If that doesn't work, I've found that Disk Warrior can fix some HD problems that are beyond Disk Utility.

On the other hand, it's possible that the external drive is on the way out.

Apr 5, 2013 4:49 PM in response to FatMac-MacPro

So I tried to verify and repair the disk (not the partition). The reason this didn't work is because verifying a disk with only 1 partition is the same as verifying that one partition of the disk you are repairing.

So I verified and repaired the drive using Drive Genius, a different drive repair program. Didn't work.

Here's the repair log in Disk Utility:

Verify and Repair volume “Sky's External Disk”

Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.

Checking extents overflow file.

Checking catalog file.

Checking multi-linked files.

Checking catalog hierarchy.

Checking extended attributes file.

Checking multi-linked directories.

Checking volume bitmap.

Checking volume information.

Volume header needs minor repair

The volume Sky's External Disk was found corrupt and needs to be repaired.

Volume repair complete.

Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.

Error: Disk Utility can’t repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files.

Apr 5, 2013 7:24 PM in response to Brandon Sky

Brandon Sky wrote:

...So I verified and repaired the drive using Drive Genius, a different drive repair program. Didn't work...

Did Drive Genius say the repair failed and if so, why?

Looking at the Drive Genius Help Center, it offers "Repair" which is supposed to fix errors that the "Verify" part of the process identifies and should be repeated until any reported errors are fixed.

But there's also "Rebuild," which sounds like it rebuilds the directory and is a separate utility from "Repair" which "can potentially fix errors that Repair tools cannot." Have you tried Rebuild? It's not Disk Warrior but the description sounds similar to what Disk Warrior does.

There's also a note that "Repair [and presumably Rebuild] does not verify any physical media defects. Please use the Scan function of Drive Genius 3 to check for media errors." That might be the next step, but if you can get the data that's on the drive copied somewhere else in the mean time, I'd suggest doing that first.

Apr 6, 2013 9:43 AM in response to Brandon Sky

Brandon Sky wrote:

Now Drive Genius won't repair the disk anymore. It just immediately cancels after I start it. So what does "Volume header needs minor repair" mean, and is this a filesystem problem or a hardware problem?

If the volume header is situated on a bad block, it'd be hardware. At this point, even if it is fixable, could you continue to trust it? Perhaps it's time for a replacement. FWIW, Staples is selling this http://www.staples.com/Toshiba-Canvio-Desktop-3TB-Desktop-USB-30-External-Hard-D rive-Black/product_982533?externalize=certona for $120 next week. I've gotten a few of them and cloning to them from an SSD gives 145 MB/sec on large files via USB 3.0, which is as fast as I've ever seen an external like that go.

Apr 16, 2013 2:45 PM in response to Brandon Sky

Brandon Sky wrote:

Sorry for the delay. Anyways, what is the volume header? And is the "Volume header needs minor repair" a sign of hard disk failure?

I wouldn't say it's a sign of drive failure if it can be repaired. I've gotten that message on occasion using DiskWarrior and once DiskWarrior set about fixing it, the problem didn't recur and the HD continued to work.

Apr 16, 2013 5:10 PM in response to Brandon Sky

Brandon Sky wrote:

I have a few questions to ask:

Should I back up my data?

Should I erase my external drive?

Should I replace my external drive with a working one?

If my drive can't be repaired and has a volume header error, does that mean its a sign of hard drive failure?

You should ALWAYS back up your data; on multiple drives if you can.

If you can fix your external drive it might not be necessary to erase it. But if you have reliable backups (that means Bootable if you're backup up your entire boot disk), it couldn't hurt to repartition it and start fresh.

If you have any doubts about the current drive, replace it once you get your data off it. Your data is worth more to you than the expense of a replacement drive.

If your drive can't be repaired, than I wouldn't trust it for my data and I'd replace it. Would you trust it after all the struggles you've had with it? Part of what you're trying to achieve here is a comfort level you can live with.

Is my 1TB external IOMEGA drive failing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.