Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I connect my iPad to the internet when only a wired connection is available? Thanks

How do I connect my iPad to the internet when only a wired connection is available? A friend is going to be working in Greece shortly & only wired internet is available (ie NO WiFi). Thanks for any help.

Posted on Apr 5, 2013 2:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2013 5:34 AM

You don't.

9 replies

Apr 7, 2013 8:05 AM in response to HTiPad

I have seen recently two ads for products that will accomplish what you want. One is the Hamar Wi-Fi SD/USB Data Reader for Apple Devices. I can't recall the name of the other product but it appears to be a similar product to the one I mention.

The data reader is mainly designed to allow connectivity of SD cards and USB memory stick to your iPad via Wi-Fi. But both products have an Ethernet port. You connect that to your Ethernet network and the device will act like a Wi-Fi router creating a Wi-Fi network for your iPad or iPhone to connect to.

Dec 18, 2014 4:17 PM in response to HTiPad

I work at a radio observatory where we have extremely strict RFI rules. In our accommodation (40km away from the observatory) there's no WiFi allowed, but we are able to use normal computers etc.

We found that if you use an apple lightning to USB camera adapter, plugged in to a powered USB hub, and then plug an apple USB to ethernet adapter in to the hub, you get ethernet on the ipad, even though a dialog box comes up saying "this accessory is not supported".

It's clunky, but works, and is the only way I can get ethernet on my ipad while respecting our strict radio emissions rules.

Alas the same technique doesn't work at all on my iphone.

Dec 23, 2014 2:28 PM in response to suzyfromoz

I won't count on this lasting forever. As soon as apple hears it, they could block it in a new release of ios. A lot of people would like it, could be an undocumented feature.

Note you can roll back a software update to the prior release of ios, if you act as soon as you find the problem. It the last release including point releases.

Read an article about the green bank observatory exclusion zone this weekend.

Robert

How do I connect my iPad to the internet when only a wired connection is available? Thanks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.