Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Weird vibration tingly feeling on my 15" MBPr

Hello All,

I've spent years reading here on these posts for advice but I don't think I ever actually posted a question myself... but I am having such an odd problem I figured I'd see if anyone else is experiencing the same thing:

I have a brand new Macbook Pro Retina 15" running Mountain Lion. I got the top of the line one (maxed out ram, processor, SSD etc).

I noticed that when I turn it on for the first 15 minutes or so that it is running, when I rest my hands softly as I'm typing or run my fingers over the aluminum -- I get this weird vibration tingly feeling on my fingertips and hands. It is definetely coming from the computer and is not just something I'm imagining. I know this because I had several people test it to see if it happens to them too. I noticed that if I use the laptop for an extended amount of time (an hour or so) it will happen every 15-20 minutes or so and it last for a few mintues.

I tried to research this phenomenon but can only seem to find people who have a vibration while it is plugged into the outlet. I get this weird vibration whether or not the laptop is connected to an electrical source.

Anyone else experience such a thing? I find it weird since I have an SSD and no DVD drive, so technically I don't have any "moving parts" or spinning parts that would cause vibration. I'm wondering if it is the fans in the laptop? Also my laptop does get unusually hot.

Any advice or experience or links to other discussions about this is much appreciated.

ps -- anyone else have "Good Vibrations" by Marky Mark and The Funky Bunch stuck in their head now?!

-Asept

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Apr 5, 2013 5:09 AM

47 replies

Dec 2, 2017 2:04 AM in response to Wayne Contello

Wayne is right. I just returned a new 13 inch MBPro (touchbar - 2017) because of the tingly vibrations and another was sent out with exactly the same tingly problem (when connected to mains power, but not when using Battery only). This time the Apple Senior support suggested I try as an experiment to swap the cable type connector from my current Mag Safe charger with the 3 pin connector on my new MBPro USB-C. AND Not only did the new MBPro stop vibrating if connected to Mains electricity, BUT my old MBPro (2015) STARTED vibrating if connected to Mains electricity. See photo of the two charging adapters. I hope Apple will Nota Bene - stop sending out these stupid 3 pin adapters, they cause problems. Red arrow is the new (bad) adapter, and the Green arrow shows the one I swapped onto the USB-C charger. Apple are sending me one of these cables now but should include them with the MBP.

User uploaded file.

Dec 27, 2017 10:31 AM in response to asept

I have had the same issues with a Mac Book Pro 2016, the solution seems to be you need an extension cable which is grounded, I used an older cable from a powerbook 2003.

As you can see from the picture below the older extension cable on the left has a metal strip, whereas the newer cable on the right does not, which inturn causes the MacBook to send a vibration around the whole of the device.

I hope this helps everyone out, I had this issue when I bought my MacBook 4 weeks ago, I spoke to apple and they told me to return the MacBook then I received my 2nd MacBook and I still had the same issue (this could have saved me a whole lot of time and hassle and Apple too I guess as they paid for me to return the item by courier) but it just seems that the newer plugs just need to be grounded as the older plugs were.

User uploaded file

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Apr 5, 2013 6:03 AM in response to Wayne Contello

Thank you for your response. The vibrating sensation happens wether or not my laptop is connected to the MagSafe charger so I don't think it had anything to do with wether or not the power adapter is grounded or not.

Also, to clarify, the tingling feeling isn't an electric shock feeling it's more of a buzzing vibrating feeling under the fingertips (but ONLY when touching the aluminum very softly. Not when resting hands on it or pressing firmly.)

Also, I don't feel the vibrating on the trackpad or keys. Just on the aluminum around the trackpad, keys, speakers etc.

Apr 8, 2013 4:48 AM in response to asept

It's interesting to note that this was happening to me when I was out of the country. Now that I'm back in USA it's not happening. I made an appointment at the Apple Store today (since there was no Genius Bar near the city I was in overseas I couldnt visit a genius bar there.) I hope they let me just exchange it out for a new one eventhough it's about 20 days old.

I guess this is just a rare thing since no one else seems to be reporting such a problem (while running on battery only)

Apr 24, 2013 9:04 PM in response to asept

asept wrote:

I ended up brining the laptop back to the Apple store and they allowed me to return it. They seemed perplexed, saying they have never before seen this problem.

I bought a new one and so far no vibrating. 😀

Thank you all for your advice.

That's response #1 when presented with a problem and a response is needed from an Apple employee. It seems their #1 rule is deny knowledge of ever seeing this issue. #2 on the list is usually not to communicate the solution or working process of a solution in writing... always verbal (in person or on the phone). Must be a legal thing or something. 😕

Jun 29, 2013 9:39 PM in response to asept

Hello Asept and others. I have been complaining about the vibration issue for a number of years now. I had never had a vibration problem where I used to live but it started a year-ish into living in this apartment. In 2011 my harddrive blew out and I always thought it was from the vibration. Bought a new MacBook Pro, top of line and it still vibrates especially when the battery is 100%. I tend to charge the computer and use it unplugged.

I've had electricians to check the grounding, changed the power bar and got a new apple power cord. To no avail.

True, I'm still using a two prong that came with the computer. I live in a 240 country but bought this latest here. Apple here doesn't see a problem.

In fact, working at the problem when it is plugged in is giving me burning/tingling in my feet. That may be something else but it's worse when at the plugged in computer.

My landlord suggests getting a UPS. Any thoughts on that?

The vibration is on the back of the screen/ld as well as beside the track pad and keyboard.

Oh, also, if I want to back up I have to plug in my external, do back up and unplug. Can't keep it plugged in. And my new Thunderbolt screen also vibrates on top when plugged in.

Should I try another electrician? UPS?

I'm happy to hear that it's not just me.

Tzipora

Weird vibration tingly feeling on my 15" MBPr

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.