Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VGA monitor not detected on iMac (Mountain Lion) but works on MBA (Lion)

Hi!

I have a Macbook Air running 10.7.5 and a new iMac (27") running 10.8.3. I have an old VGA monitor that I'm wanting to use as a second display. I purchased a mini-display to VGA adaptor, and it works perfectly with the MBA. However, with the iMac, the display is not detected (I tried restarting the computer, restarting while holding opt+cmd+P+R), and of course selecting "detect displays" from the display preferences pane.

Doe anyone know: Is it a hardware issue with the iMac? Is it a software issue with 10.8.3? Those are the only two differences, as I believe that on each it's a Thunderbolt port.

I'm a bit stumped here. I've been searching for over an hour on boards and can't seem to find anyone with exactly the same problem.

-Jessi

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 5, 2013 6:02 AM

3 replies

Apr 5, 2013 6:08 AM in response to Jessi K

Do you have other, or access to other, devices that can be used to test the Tbolt port on the iMac? I have no problems detecting a VGA monitor or Samsung HD TV on the min-display port on a MacBook Pro running 10.8.3. Have not tried with my iMac but may just do so this weekend to find out how that detects a monitor.

Did you try in System Preferences > Displays changing whether you are mirroring on and off to see what that does?

Apr 5, 2013 6:14 AM in response to Ralph Landry1

Unfortunately I don't have any other Thunderbolt devices (unless I move the iMac into the living room and try plugging it into the TV using the mini-display to HDMI adaptor, which I may try later tonight).

I tried turning mirroring on and off; I tried setting the display resolution lower (with and without mirroring) and trying "detect displays" again. No dice. Unplugging and plugging back in the monitor; switching it on and off. Tried both TB ports. Every possible thing I could think of.

VGA monitor not detected on iMac (Mountain Lion) but works on MBA (Lion)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.