Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do Lion MacBook Pro's run Universal Apps?

I've just installed Football Manager 2007 (from late 2006) on my MacBook Pro running 10.7.5 Lion. I know PowerPC doesn't work on Lion but if my game is Universal, shouldn't it be working? When I click the icon on my dock it closes immediately. Help would be much appreciated 🙂

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Apr 5, 2013 7:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2013 7:55 AM

Not always, even though it's not using the PPC code, the Intel code also has to be updated to work with the latest OS X version and newer hardware changes/drivers.

Also some programs need to be installed with the installer if they place items in other locations. However some apps are completely standalone, so everything is contained in their own icon/pkg and cna be run from anywhere just about.

There is a thread over at MacRumors.com how to run OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard in a virtual machine program which will allow one to run older programs (including PPC) in later OS X versions of 10.7-10.8, however there is a performance penalty naturally.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2013 7:55 AM in response to Cameronjpr

Not always, even though it's not using the PPC code, the Intel code also has to be updated to work with the latest OS X version and newer hardware changes/drivers.

Also some programs need to be installed with the installer if they place items in other locations. However some apps are completely standalone, so everything is contained in their own icon/pkg and cna be run from anywhere just about.

There is a thread over at MacRumors.com how to run OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard in a virtual machine program which will allow one to run older programs (including PPC) in later OS X versions of 10.7-10.8, however there is a performance penalty naturally.

Apr 5, 2013 8:22 AM in response to Cameronjpr

Cameronjpr wrote:

I could try a simulation program like CrossOver

Far as I know, that is for running Windows based programs on OS X without needing Windows.

How do I know if the Intel code has been updated?

Check with the developer of the program and see if they are/will update it to be compatible with your OS X version.

If not, then find out the last compatible OS X version (likely Snow Leopard) which you can go the 10.6 in a virtual machine program route.

Apple releasing a new OS X version so fast (annually now) is a very big problem for developers and users alike.

3D gaming on Mac's, what you need to know

Do Lion MacBook Pro's run Universal Apps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.