Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File > Finalize does nothing

When I go to File > Finalize Project to save a clip, nothing happens. No light gray bar, no "in progress" messaging or symbols, no output.

How do I export/save a clip so I can view it outside iMovie?

MacBook Air (13-INCH, MID 2011)

Posted on Apr 5, 2013 9:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2013 10:57 AM

You can use the SHARE menu. Use SHARE/EXPORT MOVIE in the size you need. Or use SHARE/EXPORT USING QUICKTIME if you want to control the export parameters.

Finalize Project will create a Media Browser copy for all available sizes. If you have already finalized, it will not do anything unless you do further edits. In this case, your Media Browser copies are deleted and you can Finalize or Share again.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2013 10:57 AM in response to paperqueen

You can use the SHARE menu. Use SHARE/EXPORT MOVIE in the size you need. Or use SHARE/EXPORT USING QUICKTIME if you want to control the export parameters.

Finalize Project will create a Media Browser copy for all available sizes. If you have already finalized, it will not do anything unless you do further edits. In this case, your Media Browser copies are deleted and you can Finalize or Share again.

Apr 5, 2013 2:56 PM in response to AppleMan1958

Thanks, AppleMan1958. Never would have tried the Share menu, since Apple typically puts all Save, Export, etc. commands in the File dropdown. Guess twenty-eight years of using Apples/Macs has me set in my ways. 😉

From your post:

"Finalize Project will create a Media Browser copy for all available sizes. If you have already finalized, it will not do anything unless you do further edits. In this case, your Media Browser copies are deleted and you can Finalize or Share again."

That's the weird part---no Media Browser copies were made, in any size. It's as if the File > Finalize command is dead.

Very odd...but so's the fact the Help files say I should see a Clip Trimmer option in the Project browser > Action menu. No such item in the Action drop down. Had someone else here in the office try to locate it, and sure 'nuff, it just isn't there (current version, iMovie 11).

Off to mark this solved. Thanks again!

Apr 5, 2013 5:16 PM in response to AppleMan1958

Huh. Odd that the iMovie Help file instructions say:

"1. In the Project browser, move the pointer over a video clip, and then choose Clip Trimmer from the Action pop-up menu (looks like a gear) that appears in the lower-left corner of the clip."

From there, the user is told to "drag the handles at either end of the yellow clip selection to set a new startpoint and endpoint" in the selected video, ending with "Using this technique, you can change which video frames are selected without changing the duration of the selection."

Guess I assumed "video" meant "video."

Apr 5, 2013 8:01 PM in response to paperqueen

I just checked my iMovie, and I am getting the Clip Trimmer for video files. I haven't used it in ages but it works.

I suggest you go to iMovie/Preferences and make sure that the Advanced Tools are enabled.

If they are and it still doesn't work for you, then right-click on one of your Project Clips and select Reveal in Finder. In the Finder, right-click on the clip and select OPEN WITH.../QuickTime Player. In QuickTime Player, type the letter i while holding down the Command Key. This should open the QuickTime Inspector. Tell us the dimensions of your clip and everything that is listed next to the word FORMAT:

That might give me some ideas that could further help.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Apr 6, 2013 4:41 AM in response to paperqueen

paperqueen wrote:

That item is missing from the gear (Action) menu, as noted above.

From my copy of iMovie 11:

User uploaded file

From the iMovie Help files:

User uploaded file

Based on the image you have posted, it appears that you are clicking on the gear icon on a clip in the Event. The Precision Editor and Clip Trimmer appear in the menu panel only when you are working in a Project.

So, if you haven't already done so, you need to create a Project. You then do all your editing in the Project (although some editing functions are available in the Events).

See this Apple Help article for how to start a new project:

http://help.apple.com/imovie/#mova719fa33

And this one for adding video to your project:

http://help.apple.com/imovie/#mova719fd26

NOTE: Be sure to watch the 2 video tutorials included in the articles.

John

Apr 6, 2013 4:51 AM in response to John Cogdell

A bit more for you paperqueen:

In your first post you said -

"When I go to File > Finalize Project to save a clip, nothing happens. No light gray bar, no "in progress" messaging or symbols, no output.

How do I export/save a clip so I can view it outside iMovie?"

I suspect the reason you are not able to Finalize is the same reason you are not seeing the Clip Trimmer. You must create a Project first before you can Export it using the Share items in the menu, or before being able to use File > Finalize Project.

John

Message was edited by: John Cogdell

File > Finalize does nothing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.