Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Organize albums with 10+ releases?

Basically I own a LOT of albums of happy hardcore/trance that have releases up to 20 releases, but the thing is it organizes like

Happy Hardcore 1

Happy Hardcore 10

Happy Hardcore 11

Happy Hardcore 2

I want to organize by (That would fix this entirely)

Title -> Year

But it doesn't let me! It just greys out the options when I select Titles for the first one.

What should I do?

iTunes-OTHER, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Apr 5, 2013 9:09 AM

7 replies

Dec 7, 2013 12:34 PM in response to turingtest2

Is there a way to get iTunes to do this in the Media Folder? I don't have that kind of music, and I also don't have many anthologies where this technique would work. I'm talking about an album organization similar to this

Folder Directory:

iTunes Music/[Artist]/[Year] [Album Title]

iTunes Music/Paul McCartney/2013 NEW (Deluxe Edition)

Dec 7, 2013 4:00 PM in response to JackR98

iTunes doesn't have any way to choose your own layout for the media folder. For music it normally uses the format <Media Folder>\Music\<Artist>\<Album>\## <Name>.<Ext> although older libraries might miss out the extra \Music\ layer that is now used. Either way, the physical layout of the folder has no impact on the ordering within the application which is based on tag peroperties, not file paths.

tt2

Dec 7, 2013 5:42 PM in response to turingtest2

I understood that. The reason I would like it to sort that way is because I don't use an Apple brand portable music player (iPod, iPad, iPhone, etc.), I use an MP3 player. (Nothing against the apple products, the MP3 Player merely suited my budget a little better.)

On this player, I can access the folder hierarchy for a better-sorted view of my music. This is handy, as (for some reason) the metadata doesn't always save to my MP3's, and therefore miss the search functions of the player.

There are several artists where I have meticulously purchased every one of their albums (a difficult task, since most of the music I listen to was released before I was born, and is difficult to find [non-digitally]), and I enjoy listening to the albums in the order they were released.

Rather than go through and label each album with a number in front of it (or a year), it would be lovely if iTunes could release an update that would labe the folders for me automatically, or release source coding so I could do it myself.

Dec 7, 2013 6:31 PM in response to JackR98

I see. If you're handy with a bit of coding you could tweak my script ConsolidateByMoving to prepend the Year to the folder name it currently sets to Album, or your could experiment with KeywordsToAlbum so that you get the same ordering in iTunes.

-<Album> <Year> <Album>

ought to make the appropriate edit, though test it on a single album to start with.

tt2

How to Organize albums with 10+ releases?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.